On Thursday, the national carrier began selling tickets for the inaugural flight, which is scheduled for October 28.
"This is an exciting moment for us".
Kenya Airways will become the first airline to offer a non-stop flight between East Africa and the United States of America. The flight will depart every day from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport hub in Nairobi at 23:25 arriving at JFK airport in NY at 06:25 the following day.
KQ Chief Executive Officer, Sebastian Mikosz also noted that the launch of direct flights will create indirect employment opportunities through its suppliers. The 15-hour flight will operate onboard a B787 Dreamliner, with 234 seats. "This is a reduction from the current flight time of over 22 hours, including lengthy layovers", said Mikosz. The flight will fly overnight in the westbound direction- unusual for transatlantic flights-departing Nairobi at 11:25 p.m. before arriving at JFK at 6:25 a.m. the following day.
Kenya Airways was is 2017 named Africa's Leading Airline of the year at the World Travel Awards gala ceremony held in Kigali, Rwanda.
China slams 3 more multinationals over Taiwan status
Tibet is officially an "autonomous region" but firmly under Chinese control. It also promised to work with Chinese authorities on their investigation.
Kenya Airways has opened ticket sales on its website after ditching earlier plans to use a code share deal with partners on Sky Team to operate the Nairobi, New York route.
"First of all [the direct flight] is going to create more jobs in Kenya Airways because we will definitely hire more pilots and more crew". Mikosz revealed the carrier will continue to modernise its fleet though its 32 aircraft are some of the youngest in Africa.
Kenya Airways takes pride in being in the forefront of connecting Africa to the World and the World to Africa through its hub at the new ultra-modern Terminal 1A at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi.
Between January and October 2017 over 95,000 tourists visited Kenya, a 20 percent increase in traffic every year for the past two years.
- Wahlberg's pay 1500 times more than Williams'
- Jacob Eason transferring from UGA
- Coquelin leaves Arsenal for Valencia
- Japan to give aid to Myanmar for Rohingya return
- YouTube Releases Official Apology for Logan Paul Video
- Facebook testing new feature to host city-specific local news
- Le'Veon Bell threatens retirement if Steelers give him another franchise tag
- Jessica Falkholt life support turned off, remains in critical condition
- Civil and Human Rights Coalition Condemns New Medicaid Work Requirements
- Liverpool to use Coutinho money to keep Firmino for life