For its new local hub, Facebook is starting with a small batch of test markets.
The product, called "Today In" is only available on the Facebook mobile app and is being tested in six United States cities: New Orleans, LA; Little Rock, AR; Billings, MT; Peoria, IL; Olympia, WA; Binghamton, NY.
Facebook is now testing "Today In" in New Orleans; Little Rock, Ark.; Billings, Mont.; Peoria, Ill.; Olympia, Wash.; and Binghamton, N.Y., according to Recode.
Pregnant Khloe Kardashian reveals who will be in the delivery room
You are going to see hot mama Khloe K.in Keeping Up With The Kardashians which is coming back from Sunday, January 7. Ryan Seacrest actually wasn't the first person Khloé Kardashian rang up when she found out she was pregnant.
A machine learning (ML) software will power the "Today In" section, helping a team find local content.
The project is part of Facebook's Journalism Project initiative, which it launched past year following the 2016 presidential election.
Facebook is cautiously hand-selecting local publishers to feature on this new section of the app that should help keep fake news at bay to a large extent and thus substantially prevent the dissemination of false information to the user base. "This tactic, known as "engagement bait", seeks to take advantage of our News Feed algorithm by boosting engagement in order to get greater reach", explained Henry Silverman, operations integrity specialist at Facebook". News that is specific to the related communities and cities will be given in the user's feed. The feature will be available for users through the bottom-right menu button on Facebook.
The content will be pulled from posts already shared by vetted publishers, groups and other pages.
- Leonardo Jardim Hints Liverpool Target Thomas Lemar Could Leave in January
- Razer's new Project Linda is a phone-laptop hybrid
- Sanchez committed when he plays for Arsenal - Wenger
- Teacher handcuffed after questioning superintendent's pay raise during school board meeting
- Jessica Falkholt life support turned off, remains in critical condition
- Drunk guy slaps Harvey Weinstein at an Arizona restaurant
- Lana Del Rey in a legal battle with Radiohead over 'Copyright Dispute'
- Wenger refuses to explain Alexis Sanchez's Arsenal omission
- US Considers Other Measures Against Pakistan as Blowback Looms
- Video shows how alligators cope with freezing temperatures