Residents in North Carolina are getting a front row seat to alligators on ice.
American alligators can live in water temperatures as low as 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
And, when the weather warmed up, the alligators went right back to sunbathing to increase their internal body temperatures.
The Swamp Park One of the rescued alligators peeking his nose through the ice at Shallotte River Swamp Park in North Carolina in an undated
The ice hardened around the gators' snouts with their bodies suspended in the water, said Howard. Their metabolism slows down in the cold conditions and they go into a lethargic state.
It might look like these gators made a big mistake in judgement, but it's actually a pretty clever trick they use to breathe, and experts say it's sort of like hibernation.
You don't have to wonder any longer thanks to the folks at the Shallotte River Swamp Park in Brunswick County.
"Just shows you how smart they are, and how unbelievable it is to see them do this exact survival technique, no matter how horrific it looks to us humans", posted Linda McMullan on Facebook. But fortunately for them they have quite the tactic to survive the frozen waters.
George Howard, the park's general manager, told HuffPost that while the frozen alligators in the video appear to be casualties of Old Man Winter, they're very much alive and well. Most are found in the southeastern corner of the state.
Success! Trump's Bogus Election Integrity Commission Is Over
While dissolving the commission, the administration did not concede the rarity of voter fraud in modern American elections. Neither the commision or the White House ever produced evidence to substantiate Trump's claims of widespread voter fraud.
- Israel announces travel ban on pro-Palestinian boycott advocates
- Leonardo Jardim Hints Liverpool Target Thomas Lemar Could Leave in January
- Fire breaks out at Session Court, no reports of injuries
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions re-introduces anti-marijuana laws
- And then 'forgets' words to national anthem
- North Dakota State earns football, financial respect
- Britain to Impose Tax on Disposable Cups
- Ford F-150 Diesel Option Offered
- Matt Le Tissier reacts to Virgil van Dijk's goal for Liverpool
- Razer's new Project Linda is a phone-laptop hybrid