The goal is very special for me and my family.
For most of 90 minutes, every eye at Anfield was trained on Virgil van Dijk.
It was a fine finish to a game that was otherwise low on quality, as Liverpool, clearly tired from their Christmas travails, sank to the level of a boring Sam Allardyce Blues side, gifting a sloppy equalizer to Gylfi Sigurdsson after a first half penalty from James Milner had put Jurgen Klopp's team ahead. "To score a goal is even more special".
The atmosphere in the stands crackled and on the pitch it was equally feisty.
In a typically high-octane derby, Wayne Rooney picked up an early booking for a crude tackle on Joe Gomez and was substituted in the 52nd for his own good, moments after escaping a second yellow card for shoving Emre Can.
The defensive stability he provided, especially in his first match in Liverpool's starting eleven, was quite an encouraging look into what the future holds for the Reds.
Panthers look to continue wild card weekend success
The Panthers are a very good team, having also compiled an 11-5 record, but they are the underdogs in Sunday's clash for a reason. But before looking too far ahead, first they have to get past each other.
"There is contact and the referee used his whistle". After a flare-up on the touchline, Firmino reacted angrily to being pushed into an advertising hoarding and shouted something at Holgate.
Liverpool has not committed up to $101 million for Van Dijk's attacking prowess, of course; Manager Jürgen Klopp was so determined to sign him that he not only exceeded by some distance the highest fee the club has ever paid, but the most ever paid by anyone for a defender, and waited six months to put the deal together because of his capabilities in defense.
Although the finish brought the Toffees confidence, new Reds centre-back Virgil van Dijk would ultimately break their hearts with a headed finish late on in front of the Kop to seal the close affair.
- Tamil Nadu bus strike enters Day 3, no respite for passengers
- North Kashmir: Four policemen killed in IED blast in Sopore
- Rams' Barron, Cooper active for playoff meeting with Falcons
- Letterman's New Netflix Show Debuts Next Week
- Former Cricketer appraised Hardik Pandya innings against Proteas
- Following Trump tweet, USA to withhold $255 million in aid from Pakistan
- Freezing rain possible in Tri-Cities Friday. But we may get lucky
- President HW Bush offers condolences on passing of astronaut John Young
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions re-introduces anti-marijuana laws
- Fire breaks out at Session Court, no reports of injuries