Four policemen were killed on Saturday morning when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was detonated by suspected militants in Baramulla's Sopore.
Pakistan based terrorist organisation Jaish-e-Mohammad has claimed the responsibility for the blast.
However, other media reports have said that a police vehicle ran over the IED, triggering the blast.
He said that immediately after the blast an intensive search operation was launched and the area was cordoned off by the security forces.
The militants had attacked the 185th battalion camp of the Central Reserve Police Force in Awantipora around 2 am on 31 December. "My deepest condolences to their families".
Letterman's New Netflix Show Debuts Next Week
The show will focus on a solo guest in interviews that take place inside and outside a studio. The new show will consist of six hour-long episodes built around Letterman's star guests.
The slain cops were identified as ASI Irshad Ahmad, besides Constables Ghulam Nabi, Parvaiz Ahmad and Mohammad Amin. JeM said its "Afzal Guru Squad" carried out the attack.
The Minister also expressed sorrow over the loss of lives in a snow avalanche near Sadna top in Kupwara district.
Giving details of the incident, ADGP Munir Khan told reporters that shops were closed and vehicles were off roads due to the strike in Sopore when the militants ambushed the police team. "May the four fearless J&K police personnel killed in the line of duty today rest in peace".
According to a senior police official, the IED blast damaged three shops in the Gole Market in Sopopre, once a hotbed of terrorism and separatist politics. He said even as the situation was serious but police would tackle it.
Several officers were injured and condition of one is said to be critical.
- Final Monster Hunter World beta coming to PS4
- CAF Awards: One of many dreams came true - Mohamed Salah
- President HW Bush offers condolences on passing of astronaut John Young
- Reforms are yielding results, says Debroy on GDP estimate
- Jon Gruden named Raiders' coach
- HP Issues Recall of 50000 Laptop Batteries Due to Fire Risk
- Helena Bonham Carter might be joining The Crown and we're conflicted
- Following Trump tweet, USA to withhold $255 million in aid from Pakistan
- Trump seeks $18 billion to extend border wall over 10 years
- Panthers look to continue wild card weekend success