The Hall of Fame offensive lineman was sacked by the Raiders following the 1994 season despite a 54-38 record and three playoff berths in his five full seasons. Shell went 2-14 that season and was sacked after one year. "I want you", Gruden said, "what do you say about that?" He served in that role from 1998 through 2001, before being traded to Tampa Bay.
Jon Gruden would undoubtedly bring a swagger back to the Oakland Raiders after a 2017 season under Jack Del Rio during which a young, talented roster lost a little of its luster. Good luck with the Oakland Raiders. It is the longest coaching deal in the history of the league, per a report from ESPN. Brown was sacked by owner Art Modell following the 1962 season.
Gruden, 54, is set to return to coaching after an absence of almost a decade.
In seven years with the Buccaneers, he went 57-55 and made the playoffs on three occasions.
The Raiders extended Derek Carr's contract last summer, paying the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback $125 million over five seasons. But Vermeil burned out of coaching and stepped away after the 1982 season.
Barkley Set For Medicals After Chelsea Agree £15m Deal With Everton
The midfielder will have a medical at the club on Friday and will complete the move from his boyhood club Everton in the coming days.
Gruden beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl in his first season with the Buccaneers but didn't win another playoff game for Tampa Bay in his final six seasons. After Del Rio was officially let go, Schefter reported Gruden was next in line for the job. He shocked the team when he retired two months after the end of the 1992 season and spent the ensuing years as an announcer and a NASCAR team owner. In fact, Cincinnati has been one of the most frequent sources to find first-time head coaches over the past decade.
Personally, I enjoy Gruden as an analyst, though he is sometimes comical and overzealous, and his commentary during the Steelers-Bengals game regarding Vontaze Burfict and JuJu Smith-Schuster was nothing short of idiotic. Shell went 2-14 that season and was sacked after one year. After a four-year break, Ditka was hired to coach the New Orleans Saints in 1997.
Well this time, they're more than just rumors - something that was fairly clear for a week.
It has not been a secret as everyone knew Jon Gruden was going to be back with the Silver and Black next season.
- Now the chocolate can become extinct
- Investigators Suspect Somebody Set Roy Moore Accuser's House on Fire
- Could Apple swallow Netflix in one $80 billion bite?
- Raiders Giving Jon Gruden Contract Worth Around $100 Million Over 10 Years
- Reforms are yielding results, says Debroy on GDP estimate
- United States envoy calls for emergency United Nations session on Iran
- Nokia 6 (2018) with 5.5-inch display, Snapdragon 630 goes official
- President HW Bush offers condolences on passing of astronaut John Young
- Marcus Mariota throws touchdown to himself against Chiefs
- Final Monster Hunter World beta coming to PS4