He was due to take part in an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi and was also scheduled to defend his Qatar Open, but had to withdraw due to elbow pain. The tennis star, who was eight weeks pregnant with daughter Olympia when she won her seventh Australian Open title previous year, confirmed that she would not be returning to the court as she "needs more time". In terms of total years, it was the oldest Grand Slam women's final in the Open era -Williams sisters combining for 71 years, 11 months.
The former world No.1, who won the last of his 12 Grand Slam honours when he captured his maiden French Open title in 2016, has not played since retiring against Czech Tomas Berdych with the injury in the Wimbledon quarter-finals in July. Tiley further pointed out that Serena always want to give her absolute best and that she doesn't head into any event just to compete. Meanwhile, Tie Break Tens is scheduled to see the return of other injury affected stars in World No 1 Rafa Nadal and 2014 Australian Open victor Stan Wawrinka.
Tournament director Craig Tiley called Williams' efforts to try and be ready for a title defence at the Australian Open "Herculean" and said she transcended the sport.
The defending champion said in a statement on Friday that she was "not where I personally want to be".
The latest Nintendo Switch hack paves the way for homebrew software
Among the games that are a potential contender for the Direct include Super Smash Bros . and Pokemon for the Nintendo Switch. We are proud to award Nintendo with the titles of Shacknews Best Developer and Publisher of the Year .
Williams began last year's Australian Open one week after learning she was pregnant.
Six-time Australian Open victor Djokovic still remains highly doubtful for the Australian Open but will be travelling to Australia to compete in the Tie Break Tens at the Margaret Court Arena at Melbourne Park on January 10.
Britain's Andy Murray (hip) and Japan's Kei Nishikori (wrist) having already said they would not compete.
- United States envoy calls for emergency United Nations session on Iran
- 'Considerable Damage': N Korea Reportedly Hit Own City With Ballistic Missile
- Nokia 6 (2018) with 5.5-inch display, Snapdragon 630 goes official
- Bears have no answer for Vikings defense in Week 17
- Two lottery jackpots have Coast residents heading to the borders
- Khloe Kardashian Remains Mum on Sister Kylie's Pregnancy Gossip
- Man accused of sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Spirit Airlines flight
- Ted Thompson Reportedly Will Take New Role with Packers, Vacate GM Position
- James Harrison makes impressive debut with Patriots
- Now the chocolate can become extinct