The team's 12 losses this season are their most since 2011, but the Colts haven't been a viable AFC contender in years.
While 2017 marked just his first losing season in Indianapolis, the Colts' sloppy play and inability to compete in the AFC South without their star quarterback ultimately spelled his doom as the team's head coach. WISH-TV's Anthony Calhoun first reported the firing.
The dramatic 2017 tailspin was complicated because the franchise went the entire season without quarterback Andrew Luck taking the field due to complications with his right shoulder.
"Chuck Pagano provided Colts fans with many exciting wins and memories as head coach of the Colts", Colts Owner & CEO Jim Irsay said in a statement.
'Dr. Phil' Show Denies Allegations That It Gave Addicts Drugs and Alcohol
Phil has enabled their addiction problems by leaving alcohol in the dressing rooms and providing drugs to "calm their nerves". Phil , whose show has been on-air since 2002, has been known for referring many of his guests to treatment facilities.
Ballard will lead the search for Pagano's replacement in January. From 2012-17, Pagano's unit ranked above 19th in total defense (11th in 2014) and points allowed (9th in 2013) once.
Pagano guided the Colts to a 56-46 overall record (including the postseason) since joining the team in 2012.
Indianapolis fired Pagano on Sunday after six years with the franchise. But Luck's missed 26 of the past 48 games, when a pair of 8-8 campaigns preceded this year's rebuilding season. They also will match up against the AFC North division, facing off against the New England Patriots for the third straight year and fifth time (including playoffs) in since 2015. Ballard's former colleague with the Bears and Chiefs, Kansas City special teams coordinator Dave Toub, is also likely to be on the Colts' short list.
Colts owner Jim Irsay gave Pagano the game ball following Sunday's home win and Pagano was seen making his rounds through the locker room hugging each player with tears in his eyes.
- Maine's minimum wage to increase to $10 an hour
- Bulldogs rally over Louisville in TaxSlayer Bowl
- Serena Williams loses on comeback
- James Franklin hurting from punch to ribs from Penn State QB
- Russia: Several injured after blast in Saint Petersburg supermarket, say police
- Padmavati Now Padmavat, Cleared With 5 Changes Including A Song
- S Korea seizes another ship suspected of transferring oil to N Korea
- Russian Federation confirms missile defense system sale to Turkey
- Anand wins World Rapid Championship
- Oregon Appeals Court Upholds Discrimination Ruling Against Antigay Bakers