On Friday, Turkey officially signed the $2.5 billion agreement with Russian Federation on Friday for the purchase of S-400 missile defense systems.
The deal has caused concern in the West because Turkey is a member of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation but the Russian missile system can not be integrated into NATO's military architecture.
The statement said Turkish will buy two S-400 surface-to-air missile batteries from Russian Federation under an accord signed, with the first delivery planned for the first quarter of 2020.
Several allies are also concerned as the system can not be integrated into NATO's existing military architecture.
Visa services resume between United States and Turkey
According to the message, the USA embassy will also restore the issuance of visas to Turkish citizens. The U.S. stopped issuing non-immigrant visas in Turkey after a Turkish employee of the U.S.
But relations have since gone from strength to strength, with Moscow and Ankara cooperating over Syria and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin meeting eight times in 2017 alone. "But the idea of paying a portion of the total amount by getting a loan prevailed in the end". Turkey will pay 45 percent of the cost in advance, with the remaining 55 percent to be covered by Russian loans, according to the head of Russian state-run Rostec Corporation, Sergey Chemezov.
Turkish Defence Minister Nurettin Canikli said Ankara would purchase two S-400 systems and four batteries and that all agreements were made, the state broadcaster TRT Haber reported.
Under an accord signed in Ankara on Friday, the first delivery is planned for March 2020.
- Flu cases widespread in Georgia, CDC says
- United Kingdom minister: Damian Green was sacked because he lied
- Apple moral: Trademark founder's name to avoid being branded dumb
- Longtime Atlanta news anchor Amanda Davis dies after suffering stroke
- Russian Federation claims United States training former ISIS fighters in Syria
- Trump condemns attack on Coptic Christians
- Israel responds with raids to Gaza rockets
- Russia: Several injured after blast in Saint Petersburg supermarket, say police
- Congress MLA slaps on-duty police, gets slapped in return
- Anand wins World Rapid Championship