By adding Longoria and dumping Span's salary in the same deal, the franchise adds just $2.5 million to its bottom line for next season as Longoria is scheduled to make $13.5 million in 2018. On Wednesday, the Rays dealt the veteran third baseman to the Giants for a four-player package headlined by centerfielder Denard Span and infield prospect Christian Arroyo.
Evan Longoria is San Francisco-bound. Woods led the America East in strikeouts and ranked 10th in the America East in hits allowed What do you make of the trade involving a former Capital Region player? At last season's trade deadline, the Giants sent third baseman Matt Duffy to Tampa Bay for lefty starter Matt Moore.
After making a concerted effort to land a marquee player this offseason, the San Francisco Giants have finally succeeded.
There is a clear point of delineation in the fortunes of Tampa Bay's Major League Baseball franchise, a split that can be summed up by one word, and one player.
Unlike other teams that might have gone in the opposite direction, the Giants' response to last season's bottoming-out has been to think big for 2018.
The 32-year-old Longoria is the picture of reliability and durability: He's played at least 122 games every year but 2012, when he missed half the season with a hamstring strain, and has posted an OPS of.840 or better every season but two. At the plate, he batted.261 with 20 home runs and 86 RBIs. Longoria's ground-ball rate skyrocketed, going from 31.9% in 2016 to 43.4% in '17, which killed his extra-base hit rate and home-run rate. San Francisco wanted a two-way threat, and Longoria's power and Gold Glove defense are exactly what the Giants were looking for in the trade market. I think I've been pretty upfront about wanting to be in Tampa (Bay) for my whole career, but I realize that my window is getting smaller to win a championship. He can play shortstop or third base. Watch Vitale, a Rays season ticket holder, go off as he refers to them as a Triple-A team.
Now that the Rays have parted ways with a franchise icon, it could open the floodgates. Span now lives in Tampa Bay, making it easy to convince him of a move there.
Longoria is still a plus player, but nowhere near the player, he was a few years ago.
North Korea "directly responsible" for massive cyberattack: WH official
A few weeks ago, we charged three Chinese nationals for hacking, theft of trade secrets and identity theft. In just a few days, WannaCry managed to infect upwards of 300,000 machines in almost 150 countries.
- 2 militants killed in overnight encounter in Kashmir's Shopian, operation on: Army
- Ryanair confirms it will recognise pilot unions
- Trump administration blames North Korea for WannaCry ransomware attacks
- Israeli soldiers just arrested this iconic teenage Palestinian activist
- WWE Announces First Ever All Women's Royal Rumble Match For 2018
- 5-Year-Old Calls 911 to Report Grinch Stealing Christmas
- Special precautions not required when people with egg allergy take flu shots
- Taking the good with the bad: Warmer temps comes with rain
- John Terry's All-Time Premier League XI Includes Eight Man United Players
- Brooklyn house fire kills woman, children, officials say