Apple's smart assistant, Siri, already taps into Shazam, allowing users to verbally ask: "What song is playing?" and has done so for more than three years.
On Monday, Apple company issued a statement describing Shazam as Natural fit with its services.
All you need to do is record part of the song using the Shazam app, and it will message you the song title and the name of the artist after analyzing the clip.
Some, however, believe that the real value of the acquisition isn't Shazam's technology - which Apple could presumably have developed a version of itself for a smaller sum - but rather the data Shazam has gathered for more than a decade about its millions of users. However, the company did confirm the acquisition and said it has big plans for this affair.
At the moment, Spotify has 60 million users worldwide, while Apple Music has a significantly less number of users at just 27 million.
"We can't imagine a better home for Shazam to enable us to continue innovating and delivering magic for our users", Shazam cited in a separate statement.
Shea Patterson can lead Jim Harbaugh, Michigan to elusive Big Ten championship
Patterson could potentially be eligible to play for the Wolverines this fall due to the NCAA sanctions now facing his old program. He'd go on to throw for 880 yards with six touchdowns and three interceptions that year.
But Shazam has struggled to find a way to make money off its technology, even as it said that it had reached one billion downloads on smartphones a year ago.
Apple could also be interested in Shazam's augmented reality technology. Apple has not disclosed the price, but multiple reports suggest that the company has bought the application for $400 million.
Shazam only recently announced it has become profitable, thanks to advertising and steering traffic to other sites such as Spotify and Apple Music.
Shazam in November had around 175 million monthly active users across the world from iOS and Android, with a market of 20 million users in the U.S. and 4 million in the UK.
To let Siri replicate the trick or add innovations of its own, Apple might have felt it needed to bring Shazam in-house. With the acquisition, Apple will look to integrate the media recognition software even further, potentially improving not just Apple Music but Siri, HomePod and AirPods as well.
- Roy Moore rally set for Monday in Midland City
- In one day, USA has off-again, on-again Olympic Games plans
- Fatal gas plant explosion 'injures 18' and melts cars
- The Trailer For 'Jessica Jones' Season 2 Just Dropped And We're Pumped
- Comedian Hannibal Buress arrested in Miami, charged with disorderly intoxication
- New Trailer: 'Ready Player One,' From Steven Spielberg
- Four Things We Learned From Southampton 1-1 Arsenal
- LiAngelo, LaMelo Ball will skip college to play pro basetball in Lithuania
- Bills Defeat Colts, 13-7, In Overtime
- November inflation up at 4.88%, factory output growth dips