Intriguingly, the NASA said in a statement that the discovery was made by researchers using machine learning technology from Google. "The challenge now is to find terrestrial planets (i.e., those one half to twice the size of the Earth), especially those in the habitable zone of their stars where liquid water might exist on the surface of the planet", NASA wrote.
NASA and Google have scheduled a news conference to reveal their findings at 1 p.m. ET on Thursday.
NASA's Kepler space telescope has gazed at more than 150,000 stars and continues to transmit back data that leads to important discoveries of celestial objects in our galaxy, including first-time observations of planets outside our solar system.
The conference will take place on Thursday, December 14 at 20h00 PM and will stream live on NASA's website.
Kepler's original mission was completed in 2012. The mission was successful as it confirmed that there are 2,337 exoplanets that exist, and moreover, 4,496 more possible candidates. According to NASA officials, this startling discovery was made using machine learning sponsored by Google.
Packers WR Davante Adams stuns Browns with game-winning TD in OT
On Sunday, Gordon scored his first touchdown since his return, finding the end zone for the first time since 2013 . Gordon might've missed two-and-a-half seasons, but he's still the Browns' best receiver.
The planet-hunting Kepler telescope launched in 2009 and has delivered a plethora of new information and discoveries.
In 2014, Kepler was set to another mission which included hunting for more exoplanets. As of now, the telescope has discovered more than 2500 odd worlds. Kepler-11, imagined here by an artist, is a sun-like star orbited by six planets.
Besides NASA scientists, Christopher Shallue, Senior Software Engineer at Google AI in Mountain View, California, will also attend the briefing.
As the NASA press conference nears, it has also been revealed that the director of the Astrophysics Division Paul Hertz, who works at NASA's headquarters in Washington, will be participating in the event.
- Shea Patterson can lead Jim Harbaugh, Michigan to elusive Big Ten championship
- Tom Savage Continued To Play After Distressing Hit
- China Claims Indian Drone Invaded Airspace, New Delhi Says Beijing Was Informed
- Bullied Kid Invited To Watch Tennessee Titans After Video Goes Viral
- November inflation up at 4.88%, factory output growth dips
- LiAngelo, LaMelo Ball will skip college to play pro basetball in Lithuania
- Philippe Coutinho and Roberto Firmino On Bench - Liverpool Team vs Everton Confirmed
- Rafa Benitez: No time for excuses at Newcastle United
- Trump puts Moon back on NASA's road map to Mars
- David Moyes: Adrian has the No 1 jersey at West Ham