India has committed $500mn to the Chabahar port, which it hopes will allow the port to bypass rival Pakistan's, despite its key ally, the United States, taking a tougher approach to Iran.
According to an Indian External Affairs Ministry statement issued in New Delhi, Radhakrishnan represented India in the second meeting of the India-Iran-Afghanistan ministerial-level trilateral meeting on Chabahar port development on Sunday.
27 delegates from India, Afghanistan and other Asian countries attended the inaugural ceremony of the port.
"Today, five wharfs have been inaugurated in the first phase and building this Port will create many jobs for the people of Iran and the province of Sistan and Baluchestan".
Over a month ago, India sent the first consignment of wheat to Afghanistan through Chabahar Port, which Swaraj remarked as a gift from Indians to Afghans.Читайте также: Dante Cunningham listed as Pelicans' starter in place of Anthony Davis (groin)
However, downplaying the rivalry during the inauguration, Rouhani said, "This port is also significant from the political point of view given that it connects Iran with its eastern and northern neighbors and at a later stage to European states".
From 2.5 million tonnes, the annual cargo tonnage of Shahid Beheshti Port, Iran's only oceanic port, is now expected to nearly triple and reach 8.5 million tonnes.
The Shahid Beheshti extension was inaugurated in the presence of dignitaries from India, Afghanistan, Qatar and Pakistan.
Chabahar provides India with an easier land-sea route to Afghanistan. "We should go after competition", he said.
The statement said, "The completion of the internal procedures on the ratification process by Iran is expected to lead to full and early operationalisation of the Transit and Trade arrangement between the three countries though the Chabahar port..."
A railway route is also under construction from Chabahar to Zahedan (centre city of Sistan-Baluchestan Province) to boost the capacity of the new strategic transit route.
Giving a boost to bilateral ties between India and Iran, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj made an unannounced visit to Tehran, while returning from Sochi in Russian Federation, ahead of the inauguration of the strategically important port.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Meghan Markle Retires From Acting After Engagement to Prince Harry: Details!
- Vodafone announces cashback up to Rs 2200 on Micromax smartphones
- City tops in crimes against sr citizens, 2nd against women
- Search continues for missing NC 3-year-old Mariah Woods
- Univ. of OR graduate students join National Walkout
- Missing Florida teen found safe in North Syracuse, soccer coach being questioned
- Scott Frost to leave UCF for Nebraska's head coaching job, ESPN reports
- Google bans apps that push annoying ads to the Android lockscreen
- Russian Federation rejects U.S. call to cut ties with N Korea
- Phillip Fulmer Will Replace John Currie as Tennessee Athletic Director