Their personal information was compromised in the data breach.
Washington state has sued ride-sharing company Uber, saying it broke state law when it failed to notify more than 10,000 drivers that their personal information was accessed as part of a major data breach. Nevertheless, there's no denying the fact that quite a lot of people have been impacted by this breach. The stolen data included customers' email addresses, mobile phone numbers, and the driver's licence numbers of about 600,000 Uber drivers in the US.
In a letter to Ferguson's office last week, an Uber attorney wrote that the company "now thinks it was wrong not to provide notice to affected users at the time".
"The Board will be calling Uber's attention on the matter of its alleged admission on the breach of data privacy and will conduct its own investigation", LTFRB board member Aileen Lizada said in a text message to reporters on Wednesday.
Filipino data subjects were affected, but there was no indication that any driver's license was downloaded, it said. "Nevertheless, the nature of the information now acknowledged to have been compromised, together with the allegation that the company concealed the breach without notifying affected drivers and consumers, and prior privacy concerns at Uber, makes this a serious incident that merits further scrutiny".Читайте также: Harvey Weinstein Sued for Sex Trafficking by British Actress Kadian Noble
Several states, including Missouri, Massachusetts and NY, have opened investigations, and the city of Chicago sued Uber on Tuesday for failing to notify affected residents.
Perhaps the most notable aspect of Attorney General Ferguson's complaint is its damages theory.
The attorney general is seeking a penalty of $2,000 for each of the almost 11,000 Washington residents affected by the breach.
The lawsuit names an Alberta woman affected by the breach as the plaintiff and seeks to have the class action certified to apply to a broader group of individuals. With investigations under way by the attorneys general of Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Mexico, and NY, there will likely be more on this front soon.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- Trump's Now Saying The Infamous 'Access Hollywood' Tape Is Fake
- Denver Broncos Talib, Oakland Raiders Crabtree ejected after brawl
- White House Considering Ban on Personal Cell Phones of Staffers
- Jay-Z, Bruno Mars Lead Grammy Nominees In Top Categories
- USA mall evacuated after gun discharges into floor
- Apple's Spaceship better look out, Microsoft is modernizing its headquarters too
- Ivanka Trump's India Visit - What All To Expect
- Melania Trump reveals lavish White House Christmas decorations
- Louise congratulates Jamaica's Davina Bennett
- "OK Waze" Voice Control, HOV Lane Support in Canada and More