At least five Trump administration officials, who spoke anonymously because the ban isn't final, said employees were anxious that the rule would block them from communicating with family and friends, Bloomberg reported on Monday.
Notwithstanding President Trump's animosity toward leaks, the proposal is primarily driven by cybersecurity concerns rather than unauthorized disclosures, the officials said.
The White House already takes precautions with personal wireless devices, including requiring phones to be left outside meeting rooms where sensitive or classified information is discussed.
Could we see an iPhone SE 2 in 2018?
Its top-tier features brought with them an equally premium price tag, but not now that Black Friday has worked its magic. At this point, we can presume that the company will offer similar deals in the United States and Canada from tomorrow.
Top officials haven't yet decided whether or when to impose the ban, and if it would apply to all staff in the executive office of the president.
Last month, Politico reported that White House officials believed Mr Kelly's personal mobile phone had been compromised for months, raising the prospect that foreign adversaries may have gained access to data on the device.
Cell phones issued by the White House can not send text messages, and the computer network denies access to Gmail, Google Hangouts and other websites. Some have expressed concerns the ban would have "unintended consequences" or they could be accused of wasting government resources for placing outside calls on staff-issued phones, according to Yahoo News. Trump is very concerned about leaks and people tapping on their phones when they should be listening to his pearls of wisdom.
Kelly noticed his phone wasn't working properly and handed it over to White House tech support, only for them to find it had been "externally breached", according to a segment in October where Rachel Maddow detailed the incident.
- USA mall evacuated after gun discharges into floor
- Kylie Jenner Practices Her Mommy Skills with Friend's Baby on Snapchat
- Here's why Jennifer Lawrence wants to take a hiatus from acting
- National Football League analyst sounds off on Tennessee's reported hire of Greg Schiano
- Melania Trump reveals lavish White House Christmas decorations
- UCLA to name Kelly coach
- Mitsubishi Materials says units falsified product data
- Frost turns down Gators coaching job; UF now looks at Mullen
- Louise congratulates Jamaica's Davina Bennett
- Jones' big game leads Falcons past Buccaneers 34-20