ABS-CBN News reporter MJ Felipe also shared a photo of Peters being flocked by her fans as she left the pageant venue.
Nel-Peters, a graduate in business management, said her disabled half-sister has been among her great inspirations.
She was later asked, "What quality in yourself are you most proud of and how will you apply that quality to your time as Miss Universe?"
Here are 7 things you need to know about your new Miss Universe.
South Africa's Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters won the crown while Colombia's Laura González Ospina was first runner-up.
Kylie Jenner Practices Her Mommy Skills with Friend's Baby on Snapchat
Kris is seemingly enjoying teasing fans about the news, and dropped the biggest hint yet she will be expanding her family. But, get this: she was looking directly at Khloe and Kylie while she delivered her tearful message of gratitude.
Miss South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, was crowned Miss Universe 2017 at a glittering ceremony in Las Vegas on Monday morning (IST).
The finale took place at The AXIS theatre of Planet Hollywood casino and resort in Las Vegas. He previously dressed Pia Wurtzbach when she passed her crown to Iris in Manila last January.
Ninety-two women from around the world participated in the decades-old competition. Miss Universe has to overcome her fears and teach others to do the same.
Steve Harvey returned as the show's host despite botching the 2015 Miss Universe crowning.
In the "Final Word" portion of the competition, a beaming Nel-Peters said: "Miss Universe is a woman who has overcome many fears, and by that she is able to help many women overcome their fears".
- Bigg Boss 11: Shockingly This Strongest Contestant Gets Evicted From The House
- Tom Baker returns for 'lost' episode of Doctor Who
- Melania Trump reveals lavish White House Christmas decorations
- Vladimir Putin Signs Bill Targeting International Media Outlets
- Denver Broncos Talib, Oakland Raiders Crabtree ejected after brawl
- Ivanka Trump's India Visit - What All To Expect
- Meredith to buy Time for $3.8b in all-cash transaction
- Nancy Pelosi calls John Conyers an 'icon,' and social media is livid
- Mitsubishi Materials says units falsified product data
- National Football League analyst sounds off on Tennessee's reported hire of Greg Schiano