The hacker in question is named Behzad Mesri, an Iranian national who has "worked on behalf of the Iranian military to conduct computer network attacks that targeted military systems, nuclear software systems, and Israeli infrastructure", according to the indictment.
The indictment, unsealed in NY on Tuesday, said that Behzad Mesri, "had worked on behalf of the Iranian military to conduct computer network attacks that targeted military systems, nuclear software systems, and Israeli infrastructure".
"Mesri now stands charged with federal crimes, and although not arrested today, he will forever have to look over his shoulder until he is made to face justice".
According to the complaint, Mesri's attempt to hack into HBO network began around May and lasted till approximately August of 2017.
"He will never be able to travel outside of Iran without fear of being arrested and brought here", Kim said (via the BBC).
He also stole financial documents, credentials for HBO's social-media accounts and the emails of at least one HBO employee, the indictment said.
Broncos to start Paxton Lynch at QB against Raiders
He lost the starting quarterback job to Siemian past year and an injury to his throwing shoulder has kept him out since August. Denver is sliding big time, and playing an angry Raiders bunch that were humiliated in their last outing won't help.
Earlier this year, HBO faced a setback in the form of a massive hacking attack on its internal servers that resulted in the theft of 1.5 terabyte data.
It's worth noting that Mesri was previously a hacker for the Iranian Army. Included was an image of "Game of Thrones" Night King character, leader of an army of zombies, with the words, "Good luck HBO".
Mr Kim declined to say if HBO had offered or paid any ransom. The hack at HBO happened nearly three years after a high-profile breach at Sony Corp., which unleashed a trove of emails that embarrassed top executives.
The hacking took place this year, just as season seven of the hit series was airing, and prosecutors allege Mesri began assessing HBO's online security systems in May.
HBO is a growth engine for Time Warner, generating $4.65 billion in revenue in the first nine months of the year, about 21% of the company's total revenue.
- Renowned Cult Leader Charles Manson Has Died In Hospital Aged 83
- Minn. turkeys seeking Thanksgiving pardon must strut stuff
- Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49
- US Navy aircraft carrying 11 crashes off Japan
- AAA predicts 51 million Americans to travel over Thanksgiving
- Argentine Navy confirms sounds detected not from missing ARA San Juan submarine
- Trump Says US Will Label North Korea a State Sponsor of Terror
- Billionaire Russian lawmaker under investigation in France
- Hariri to visit Egypt, expected return to Lebanon on Wednesday
- Holiday forecast won't feel like fall