"All legal steps are already being taken regarding this decision in the first instance".
The alleged incident occurred in January 2013, when Robinho was playing for Milan in Serie A. He was found guilty in absentia by an Italian court for sexually assaulting a 22-year-old Albanian woman. The married forward along with five other men have been charged.
The complex nature of the Italian judicial system means that there are various appeal processes available to Robinho and his legal team so it may take a while before any sentence is carried through.
Former Real Madrid and Manchester City star Robinho is now playing in his homeland for Atletico Mineiro. Even if the former Milan player loses the appeal, he would still have to extradited to serve prison time in Italy.
Donald Trump tells troops 'we're really winning' in Thanksgiving message
Everybody in this country is watching and they are seeing positive reports for a change. He and his family will enjoy their Thanksgiving holiday meal at their Mar-a-Lago Estate.
Robinho was also accused of sexual assault in London in 2009 while at Manchester City but was cleared of any wrongdoing.
A statement on Robinho's Instagram page on Thursday night said that he had "already defended himself against the charges, maintaining that he played no part in the incident".
Robinho moved to Europe amid much hype in 2005 when he joined Real Madrid from Santos.
However, he struggled to adapt to the Premier League and was sold to AC Milan for just £15m two years later after a loan spell at his hometown club Santos. Robinho joined Atletico Mineiro from Guangzhou Evergrande past year.
- In LaVar Ball, Trump Targets Find Their Dragon Slayer
- Congress can't endure Narendra Modi: Smriti Irani's response to 'chaiwala' tweet
- Disruptive move: China's Tencent surpasses Facebook in valuation
- US Officials Charge Hacker For Massive HBO Breach
- Billionaire Russian lawmaker under investigation in France
- Uber in legal crosshairs over hack cover-up
- Trump administration to end provisional residency protection for 50000 Haitians
- FCC plans to repeal net neutrality rules for Internet service providers
- US Navy aircraft carrying 11 crashes off Japan
- J&K: 3 LeT Pakistani Terrorists Neutralised In Handwara Gunfight