In a rare statement that highlighted the tensions rising in the impoverished southern African nation, General Constantino Chiwenga, commander of Zimbabwe Defence Forces said there was instability in ZANU-PF, which was causing anxiety in Zimbabwe.
There has been a crackdown on freedom of expression in the southern African nation in recent months, with a US woman arrested for allegedly calling President Robert Mugabe "a goblin" in a tweet.
Chiwenga's statement is perceived as a direct challenge to Mugabe's decision to dismiss his long time right hand person Emmerson Mnangagwa.
The Top 5 Heading Into The Weekend
But there is something about these TCU Horned Frogs that makes them one of the toughest outs in college football year after year. No conference title game hurts, however, as does dropping both their matchups versus top opponents (Georgia, Miami). 7.
ZANU PF Youth League leader, Kudzai Chipanga, in a statement said Chiwenga together with Mnangagwa must account for the missing money as they presided over revenue from the country's diamonds.
"The current purging. targeting members of the party with a liberation background must stop forthwith".
Grace Mugabe's rise has brought her into conflict with the independence-era war veterans, who once enjoyed a privileged role in the ruling party under Mugabe, but who have in recent years been banished from senior government and party roles. President Mugabe, however, is not at the house as we speak, and Khuluma Afrika was able to confirm that his motorcade is still at his Munhumutapa offices in the capital.
Mugabe is yet to respond to Chiwenga's coup threats. "If he condemns that statement, then he is saying therefore I am for the young turks against the war veterans", said Eldred Masunugure, a political science lecturer at the University of Zimbabwe.
- 3 takeaways from win over Rutgers in Week 11
- 14 feared drowned in Andhra Pradesh boat mishap
- New blood pressure guidelines for "silent, deadly health crisis"
- Butch Jones fired by Tennessee
- Netanyahu says Israel offered aid to Iran, Iraq
- Ronaldo announces birth of fourth child, Alana Martina
- Why same-sex marriage could be bad for LGBT people in Australia
- LeBron James chronicles Cleveland Cavaliers' post-shootaround subway ride
- Trump offers to 'mediate' in sea dispute
- Gardner: Moore Should Be Expelled From Senate If Elected