According to Wall Street Journal, Nintendo is now in negotiations with Illumination (Despicable Me, Minions) about making an animated Super Mario Bros. movie with gaming legend Shigeru Miyamoto acting as a producer. Despite numerous efforts, pretty much all attempts at bringing games to the big screen have entirely fallen flat.
The deal comes after years of Nintendo being unwilling to pull the trigger on licensing their sacred property for the use of a major motion picture.
Universal finances and releases films produced by Illumination, which it co-owns with the animation company's chief executive, Chris Meledandri.
Illumination, which is behind the Despicable Me franchise and subsequent spin-offs, declined to comment.
3 takeaways from win over Rutgers in Week 11
Disciplinary report: Penn State outside linebacker Manny Bowen, a starter in every game before Saturday, was not in uniform. McSorley became Penn State's all-time touchdown leader with 68, overtaking Daryll Clark's record of 65.
Illumination Studios is responsible for your favorite animated movies such as DESPICABLE ME, SING and THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS.
The agreement could allow Illumination to make multiple "Super Mario" movies, though only one is now planned, this person added.
Let's all hope (and pray) that Nintendo, together with Illumination Entertainment, can pull this off. The live-action film, which starred Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as Mario and Luigi, was a commercial and critical bomb, but has since then gained a cult following.
Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of the iconic game series is involved in the development of the film. The WSJ says the two companies have been speaking about the prospect for a year but that a deal is now "close" to being signed.
- New blood pressure guidelines for "silent, deadly health crisis"
- 14 feared drowned in Andhra Pradesh boat mishap
- LeBron James chronicles Cleveland Cavaliers' post-shootaround subway ride
- Reactions to Detroit Lions vs. Cleveland Browns game
- DT Roy Miller arrested on domestic battery charge
- The Trump-Xi Meeting in Beijing, Very Briefly
- Injustice 2 Adds the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Fighter Pack 3
- Gardner: Moore Should Be Expelled From Senate If Elected
- Wonder Woman 2: Gal Gadot to quit if Brett Ratner involved
- US, S. Korea begin joint Naval drills