Three UCLA basketball players who remain in China after their teammates headed home amid news reports the trio was arrested for shoplifting have someone new intervening on their behalf: President Donald Trump.
Xi promised to look into the case and ensure that the players be treated fairly, a United States official told the paper.
That may have led to some legal help too.
Multiple people stabbed at the mall in botched robbery
Local law enforcement has identified 20-year-old suspect Mahad Abdiaziz Abdirahaman , WCCO-TV reported . While the Macy's store closed early, the Mall of America stayed open and was not placed on lockdown.
President Trump reportedly brought the case up with Xi Jinping during his recent visit to the country.
Let's hope this all does come to a close soon enough, otherwise we may end up having to let LaVar Ball try his hand at reaching an agreement with China.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders confirmed in an email to the newspaper that Trump raised the issue with Xi. They were released on bail early Wednesday morning and have been staying at a lakeside hotel in Hangzhou since then.
Initial reports suggested the players could remain in China for up to two months, depending on whether Chinese authorities made a decision to pursue an arrest, which would spark an investigation.
Several experts in Chinese law said charges and accompanying punishment will dependent on the value of the stolen goods. He'll be fine. Everybody making it a big deal. As he was leaving the hotel, LaVar Ball downplayed LiAngelo's arrest, telling ESPN: "He'll be fine".
- Israel shoots down drone over Golan Heights
- US, S. Korea begin joint Naval drills
- Free DTC services for commuters during Odd-Even
- LeBron James chronicles Cleveland Cavaliers' post-shootaround subway ride
- Wonder Woman 2: Gal Gadot to quit if Brett Ratner involved
- 3 takeaways from win over Rutgers in Week 11
- Former Facebook Executive Says Social Media Exploits Human 'Vulnerability'
- Duterte Killed as Teen: Philippine President Claims Stabbing
- 14 feared drowned in Andhra Pradesh boat mishap
- Ronaldo announces birth of fourth child, Alana Martina