"Star Wars: The Last Jedi", the eighth episode in the Skywalker franchise, is to open in USA theaters on December 15. After Colin Trevorrow was replaced by J.J. Abrams as director on episode nine, Tony Gilroy took over the reshoots for Rogue One, replacing Gareth Edwards, and Ron Howard came in to salvage Solo: A Star Wars Story after Phil Lord and Christopher Miller tried using improvised dialogue, Johnson soldiers on. It turns out Lucasfilm has even bigger plans for Mr. Johnson, though.
The Walt Disney Co. has announced that Rian Johnson will create a new trilogy for the "Star Wars" universe, greatly expanding the director's command over George Lucas' ever-expanding space saga.
Johnson, 43, will write and direct the first of a new "Star Wars" trilogy that will bring new characters and worlds not yet explored on screen, Disney said.
In a joint statement, Johnson and Bergman said: "We had the time of our lives collaborating with Lucasfilm and Disney on The Last Jedi".
Russian Federation says it plans to retaliate against USA owned media in Moscow
The decision came in the wake of investigations into Kremlin attempts to interfere in the 2016 US presidential election. A Justice Department spokesman declined to comment to The Post on Thursday.
Disney said no release dates had been set for the new trilogy. "Rian will do unbelievable things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy".
Ms Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said in a statement: "Rian will do awesome things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy". In regards to Star Wars, the divisive prequels remain a cautionary tale of being careful what you wish for, providing audiences with more of the property they love, but in an (arguably) unfulfilling way.
In addition to the new trilogy news, it was also reported that a new, live-action Star Wars TV series is in development. Next year, the troubled Solo: A Star Wars Story will arrive in theaters to tell the origins of Han Solo before the events of the original Star Wars film.
- Eurozone growth at fastest pace in 10 years
- The OnePlus 5T WILL NOT Feature Wireless Charging
- Mariah Carey accused of sexual harassment by former head of security
- U.S. aircraft carriers to conduct joint drill in Pacific
- Disney's standalone streaming service: What's the story so far?
- US Becomes Lone Global Outsider On Paris Climate Agreement
- GOP Senate campaign arm abandons Roy Moore following sexual allegations
- Tesla posts record $671 million loss in Q3
- Martellus Bennett claimed off waivers by New England Patriots
- Sheep trained to recognize Jake Gyllenhaal, for science