In November 1922 Einstein was traveling from Europe to Japan for a speaking tour when he learned he'd been awarded his field's highest prize: the Nobel Prize in physics.
According to the CEO of Winner's Auctions and Exhibitions, Einstein assumed that the note would someday be worth more than a regular tip.
It said the buyer of one of the notes was a European who wished to remain anonymous.
One note says that 'a quiet and modest life brings more joy than a pursuit of success bound with constant unrest'.
The memos have drawn attention as they indicate the German-born Nobel laureate's theory of happiness.
Impressed but a little embarrassed by the publicity, Einstein tried to write his thoughts and feelings on paper at the hotel, it added.
It just sold for $1.56 million.
Bidding in person, by phone, and online started at $2,000.
All The Highlights From Lonzo Ball's Breakout Night
For a second overall pick in the 2017 National Basketball Association draft, things didn't look too hot for rookie Lonzo Ball . He'll need to improve on his defense too after registering a minus-14. "HOW?!" Smith said. "WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING?!"
Einstein's note about his theory of happiness exceeded the pre-auction estimate of between $5,000 and $8,000.
Recall that figure of the US President Donald trump, which was exhibited at the auction house Nate D. Sanders sold almost 30 thousand dollars.
A second note written by Einstein at the same time on a blank piece of paper that simply reads "where there's a will, there's a way" was sold at a price of 240,000 US dollars, said the auction.
But the seller of the happiness note said: "I am really happy that there are people out there who are still interested in science and history and timeless deliveries in a world which is developing so fast".
The seller was reported to be a relative of the messenger.
Einstein served as a non-resident governor of Jerusalem's Hebrew University. "This is a stone in the mosaic".
The world-renowned theoretical physicist Albert Einstein is known for presenting the world with the Theory of Relativity, but now he is making headlines for something else.
- SC asks govt to take call on national anthem in cinema halls
- The Packers' first two touchdowns were scored by Aaron and Brett
- OnePlus 5T Leaked Render Hints At Bezel-Less Display
- Clooney, Moore And Damon Speak On Hollywood Abuse Scandals
- Pixel 3 leak reveals three Google flagship smartphones for 2018
- ESPN ends Barstool Sports talk show after just one episode
- Top form Norwich looking forward to 'special time' against weakened Arsenal
- Veggies Sold At Walmart, Trader Joe's Recalled For Possible Contamination
- James Comey Twitter Secret Account Revealed
- London's new £10 T-Charge launches today