"A suicide bomber blew himself up after he was intercepted by police guards on duty outside the shrine", senior local administration official Asad Kakar told AFP. Worshipers had come to the shrine to mark Muharram, one of the holiest months in the Islamic calendar and for Shiites a time to mourn one of their imams, or saints.
A suicide bomber killed 52 people and wounded over 100 at a Balochistan Sufi shrine in November a year ago, in an attack claimed by Islamic State.
Later, addressing reporters, Balochistan home minister Mir Sarfaraz Bugti said that so far it appeared to be a suicide attack.
The Friday morning attack near a shrine in Jhal Magsi District has lead to deaths of 18 people while as many as 22 people have also been injured.
Woman expecting yoga mat delivery gets $400K worth of oxycodone instead
Brown said it is likely the package was supposed to be sent to the woman's former address at a condo near Dave Lyle Boulevard. The woman called police Saturday afternoon, September 30 from her Rock Hill home after opening the box.
The attack took place at Dargah Fatehpur in the Jhal Magsi district of the oil and gas rich Balochistan province, bordering Iran and Afghanistan.
The police have launched an investigation and an initial probe reportedly showed that the blast occurred when dhamal was ongoing in the premises of the shrine. Islamic State has claimed a couple of recent suicide suicide bombings of Sufi shrines in Baluchistan.
The bomber detonated his explosives vest when he was stopped for a routine search by a police officer guarding the shrine in the village of Jhal Masgi, about 400 kilometers (240 miles) east of Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province. Militants opposed to pluralist interpretations of Islam have targeted shrines like this in the past. In February, IS attacked a Sufi shrine in Pakistan's southern Sindh province, killing 83 people.
- You can now share your Instagram Stories directly on Facebook
- After climate crackdown, TransCanada scraps major tar sands pipeline
- Two-day national convention of SP to be held in Taj City
- Shah skips march on Vijayan turf
- TheBeautyPlace.com Holds Pink Sale in Support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Google unveils Home Max and Mini
- Everton vs Burnley, Premier League live score updates
- Brazil Olympics chief arrested amid vote-buying scandal
- Saudi king signs lucrative deals on landmark Russian Federation visit
- Southgate admits England must be better despite Slovenia win