"We don't allow hate speech on Facebook", says Rob Leathern, product management director at Facebook, in an e-mailed statement.
However, he said, there were times when information appeared on Facebook that violated its standards.
It said it would also prevent advertisers from targeting users based on their education or employment profiles "until we have the right processes in place".
The company's software encouraged the purchase of the ads, saying they would reach 5,897 people, generating 101 clicks, and 13 "engagements" such as a "like" a "share", according to the investigation. Last week, the company disclosed it sold $100,000 worth of ads to inauthentic accounts likely linked to Russian Federation during the election. Last year, it uncovered that it could target ads in a way that discriminated certain ethnic groups, which led to policy reviews and calls for action even by Congress.
Minnesota Vikings: Sam Bradford & the defense excelled in Week 1
Ingram has 96 catches in the last two seasons, allowing quarterback Drew Brees to have another weapon coming out of the backfield. But keep in mind, this was an O-line with rookie tackle Ryan Ramzcyk in place of pro-bowl caliber Left Tackle Terron Armstead .
When the news outlet looked for analogous advertising categories for other religions, such as "Muslim haters", it said "Facebook didn't have them".
"It was shocking to read about this practice on Facebook, and we are glad Facebook ended it", he said in a statement.
Facebook's targeted advertising feature allows advertisers to focus on specific groups of people that are more likely to be interested in their products or services. In this case, we've removed the associated targeting fields in question.
"We won't always be flawless, but you have my commitment that we'll keep working to make Facebook a place where everyone can feel safe", he wrote.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg wrote at the time that "there is no place for hate in our community", and pledged to keep a closer eye on hateful posts and threats of violence on Facebook.
- Census Bureau: US household income up 3.2%; poverty rate dips in Northeast
- Fire at religious school in Kuala Lumpur, kills 23 children, 2 teacher
- Canelo Alvarez-Gennady Golovkin Press Conference Live Stream & Video
- See new trailer for The Disaster Artist
- Gurugram Murder Case: Investigation continues
- Top 10 most 'employable' universities in 2018
- Apple Just Made A Big Change to iTunes
- Weakened Hurricane Jose could become tropical storm today
- Google will unveil the Pixel 2 on October 4
- Chase bank CEO calls bitcoin a 'fraud'