State news agency MENA quoted a high ranking ministry official confirming the attack and casualty figures. Four armored vehicles and a fifth carrying signal-jamming equipment were destroyed while a police pickup truck was commandeered, they said.
Security forces had received information that a number of militants who escaped the restive North Sinai were hiding out in two apartments in Agouza and were planning a number of attacks in central governorates.
The group considers the army and police apostates who should be killed for the sake of creating an Islamic Caliphate.
Piyush Goyal gets Railways, Prabhu shifted to Commerce and Industry
Speculations are strong that Piyush Goyal may get railways. "I had just come from Mumbai and I didn't know the P of Power". For Goyal, the railways high operating ratio, which reflects poor financial health, will also be a matter of concern.
A security guard gestures near the site of an attack that killed at least 26 people in Minya, Egypt May 26, 2017. According to the military, thousands of militants have been killed in the operations held against them. Five policemen, including three officers, were also injured in the shootout. They said the fighters had sneaked into the capital from northern Sinai but did not say whether they were members of ISIL.
Private newspaper al-Masry al-Youm, citing security sources, reported that the slain extremists were from the self-styled Hasm group, which authorities accuse of being the armed wing of the now-outlawed Muslim Brotherhood.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.
The Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of a deadly militant insurgency since 2013, when Mohamed Morsi, Egypt's first freely-elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in a bloody military coup.
- What Arsene Wenger has suggested Liverpool did to Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Apple Set to Reveal Special iPhone X on Tuesday
- Final: Pittsburgh Steelers defeat Cleveland Browns 21-18
- Graydon Carter Is Leaving Vanity Fair After 25 Years
- MAPPED: Where tsunamis set to strike after killer mega natural disaster
- Ousmane Dembele Provide Glorious Assist For Luis Suarez On Barcelona Debut
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Man City v Liverpool
- New leak of Brexit papers reveals fissures between Britain and EU
- Mexico Intensifies Recovery Efforts After Earthquake and Hurricane
- Private email server was my 'most important mistake' - Hillary Clinton