It is common for major storms to hit back to back, but to have more than one hit the U.S. in one hurricane season is rare, according to CBS.
The storm is expected to make landfall in Mexico's southeast coast late Friday or early Saturday.
As Mexican authorities rushed supplies and help to the regions hardest hit by Thursday's massive quake, they also were anxiously watching Hurricane Katia, which struck the eastern coast of Mexico early Saturday as a Category 1 storm. Jose has maximum sustained winds around 90 miles per hour, and forecasters expect it will be upgraded to a major hurricane by Friday. Irma is about 300 miles from Miami and moving about 13 mph toward the west.
Irma is the first storm in recorded history that has maintained top winds of 185 miles per hour for 37 straight hours.
Where will Hurricane Jose and Hurricane Katia make landfall?
Nintendo "strongly urges" you don't overpay for SNES mini on eBay
Nintendo's total lack of communication about when pre-orders would go live, and where, resulted in a lot of frustrated consumers. However, given that's never been the company's style, and we can expect more shortages throughout the holiday season.
Two days of satellite imagery from NASA's Terra and NOAA's GOES East satellites showed that Hurricane Katia was starting to crawl to the coast of southeastern Mexico. The National Hurricane Center tweeted about Katia's landfall at 10:34 p.m. ET, followed by a tweet about Irma's landfall at 11 p.m.
- Watches and warnings: A hurricane warning is in effect for Cabo Rojo to Laguna Verde.
Weather forecasters have been tracking the storm as it brewed over the open ocean and moves towards land.
Will Hurricane Katia hit Texas?The islands of Antigua and Barbuda are offline nearly entirely.
- China is shutting down domestic Bitcoin exchanges
- Publix's Hurricane Cakes Are The Best Way to Ride Out Irma
- Gov. rescinds hospital evacuation for some counties, delays announcement on residents
- New leak of Brexit papers reveals fissures between Britain and EU
- Hardee County deputy, corrections officer killed in head-on crash
- These Are Donald Trump's Properties That Could Get Hit By Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Irma sucks water from beaches in Bahamas
- Aaron Donald ends holdout, still out Week 1 for Rams
- Trump offers to personally mediate dispute between Qatar, other Arab countries
- Final: Pittsburgh Steelers defeat Cleveland Browns 21-18