Late on Saturday, authorities in the southern state of Oaxaca said there were 71 confirmed fatalities there, many of them in the town of Juchitan, where the rush to bury victims crowded a local cemetery on Saturday.
The quake struck off the southern Pacific coast just before midnight Thursday.
"Our main needs are basic supplies, medicines, and help with removing the rubble all over the city", Oscar Cruz Lopez, Juchitan's municipal secretary, said.
Aftershocks continued into Sunday, and scores of people were wary about returning to fragile buildings hammered by the initial tremor, sleeping in gardens, patios and in the open air.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said there is a possibility of widespread and risky waves on the coasts of Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras and Ecuador.
The quake occurred near the point of collision between three tectonic plates, the Cocos, the Caribbean and the North American.
Ignacio Chavez said his son died in the quake.
New leak of Brexit papers reveals fissures between Britain and EU
In the first paper, London makes clear that it wants the Irish border to be invisible. The EU wants commitments around peace funding.
Authorities raised the overall death toll throughout Saturday.
"It's a big quake".
And there's a tsunami warning: According to CBS News, the quake created tsunami waves off the coast, sending people into a panic on the Mexican streets.
A powerful aftershock that hit 19 days later caused a tsunami that devastated 15 miles 25 kilometers of coastline, killing 75 people. The National Weather Service confirmed this report, saying the waves reached a height of 3.3 feet.
Almost 2,900 people have been evacuated from their homes in Veracruz, and 1,500 more relocated to storm shelters in the neighboring Puebla state, AP reports.
"The house moved like chewing gum and the light and internet went out momentarily", Rodrigo Soberanes, a resident of San Cristobal de las Casas in the Chiapas, told the AP.
The governor of the Mexican state of Chiapas says that at least three people have been killed in his region in a massive quake that hit off the country's coast.
He advised people to check their homes and offices for damage and gas leaks.
- Gov. rescinds hospital evacuation for some counties, delays announcement on residents
- Graydon Carter Is Leaving Vanity Fair After 25 Years
- Hardee County deputy, corrections officer killed in head-on crash
- MAPPED: Where tsunamis set to strike after killer mega natural disaster
- Hurricane Jose seen weakening on Sunday - NHC
- Israel attacked Syria? Air raid on military position kills two people
- Aaron Donald ends holdout, still out Week 1 for Rams
- Lil Wayne was hospitalised after suffering multiple seizures over the weekend
- Instagram Lets Users to Share Stories Directly to Facebook
- Terror funding case: NIA raids 11places