Hurricane Irma is creating such a stir that it is pulling water from the shorelines of some of the areas caught in the hurricane's crosshairs. Most of Irma's power is coming from a confluence of the cell's unusually low pressure and the warm water in the Atlantic - the hurricane's low pressure is sucking water away from the shore.
Kaydi K wrote: "I am in disbelief right now".
The Washington Post added that on Saturday, the wind on Long Island in the Bahamas was blowing from southeast to northwest, and therefore, on the north west side of the shoreline, the water was getting blown away from the shoreline.
More than six million people in Florida, roughly 30 per cent of the population, have been told to evacuate.
Footage from the Hurricane Irma-hit Bahamas freaked out netizens on Saturday as the seawater was completely missing from a bay as far as the eye could see. As the storm gobbles water towards its center, it gets pulled from its surroundings.
Luckily for the locals, the water did not come gushing in all at once, with Adrian later tweeting that the sea "came back". "And they don't know where it went!"
The phenomenon, though rare, is not a sign of a tsunami, according to the Post. Wayne Neely, a forecaster with the Bahamas Department of Meteorology, wrote in a post on Facebook that this phenomenon previously occurred during a hurricane affecting Acklins Island in the Bahamas in 1936.
Irma made landfall over the Florida Keys Sunday morning as a category 4 storm.
Ousmane Dembele Provide Glorious Assist For Luis Suarez On Barcelona Debut
Barca managed to rbag a fouth goal in the 87th minute as Gerard Pique found the back of the net with a thumping header. Argentinean ace Lionel Messi shined as Barcelona destroyed rivals Espanyol 5-0, in the Catalan derby at Camp Nou.
- Hurricane Irma: Polk sheriff warns IDs will be checked at evacuation shelters
- Slovakia respects European Union court ruling on refugees, position unchanged - PM
- Lil Wayne was hospitalised after suffering multiple seizures over the weekend
- New leak of Brexit papers reveals fissures between Britain and EU
- Terror funding case: NIA raids 11places
- Australia edge ahead of Bangladesh after David Warner century and late collapse
- Publix's Hurricane Cakes Are The Best Way to Ride Out Irma
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Man City v Liverpool
- Macron urges European Union to avoid rupture with Turkey
- Aaron Donald ends holdout, still out Week 1 for Rams