Irma has been downgraded to a Category 3 hurricane, with sustained winds of 125 miles per hour, but it is expected to strengthen before reaching Florida, it added.
Hurricane Irma has begun its turn toward Florida as a life-threatening Category 3 hurricane.
"We could see millions of people without power in Florida for multiple days in some areas, maybe weeks, and so I think it's very important to set the expectations of citizens", Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Brock Long told CNN's Rene Marsh at his agency's headquarters in Washington, D.C., Saturday.
The government-sponsored shelters were open Saturday as officials warned 6.3 million Floridians to evacuate.
The State Department said on Saturday that it is'strongly advising United States citizens to go to shelter in place until Hurricane Jose passes
The state's emergency management agency said almost 70,000 people were hunkering down in more than 420 shelters opened in the state. Speaking from the presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland, he urged people to heed evacuation orders.
He says the storm is "going to go faster than you are". The Governor said that 76,000 customers had already lost power.
Irma, one of the strongest storms ever to impact the region, caused major destruction earlier this week when it struck the United States and British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Saint Martin, Saint Barthelemy, and St Kitts and Nevis after developing into a Category 5 storm.
No injuries were reported on the island by Saturday night.
Lil Wayne was hospitalised after suffering multiple seizures over the weekend
An update from Lil Wayne's representative just confirmed that his Vegas gig has been canceled, and the rap star is now resting. Despite his appreciation for the sizzurp, sources told the website it wasn't lean that caused Wayne's health scare.
- Australia edge ahead of Bangladesh after David Warner century and late collapse
- New leak of Brexit papers reveals fissures between Britain and EU
- Hurricane Irma: Broward sending shelter pets to California
- LVMH and Kering ban ultra-thin and underage models
- Aaron Donald ends holdout, still out Week 1 for Rams
- Macron urges European Union to avoid rupture with Turkey
- Publix's Hurricane Cakes Are The Best Way to Ride Out Irma
- Michael Owen states his prediction for Man City v Liverpool
- Bell Pottinger loses clients and staff in wake of South Africa scandal
- BJP mulls 'Grand Alliance' for Meghalaya and Tripura elections