It is important that the police conduct a time-bound probe, so that the facts about the murder can be unearthed, and all the questions answered: Who killed Lankesh, and who ordered the killing?
"Known for her fearless and independent views, Gauri Lankesh had extraordinary grit and determination to take on the system", an All India Congress Committee (AICC) statement said, quoting Gandhi.
Journalists and civil society members responded on Wednesday with grief and rage to the murder of Gauri Lankesh in Bengaluru, and held protest demonstrations and vigils across the country demanding protections for free speech and a speedy investigation into the killing.
While several people condemned her murder in Bengaluru last night, many on social media also posted hateful comments.
Gauri Lankesh was actively working with the Karnataka government to bring Naxalites into the mainstream, an initiative that hadn't gone down well with them, Indrajit said.
Speaking to the press later, Rahul said he had spoken to the Karnataka CM and told him that the people who did this must be caught and punished.
Trump administration wants to tie Harvey relief money to debt ceiling
Mnuchin says he's not confident that Texas would quickly get the aid it needs without raising the debt limit. Mnuchin said the USA would work with China, but "people need to cut off North Korea economically".
Lankesh was shot dead by unidentified assailants at her residence in Bengaluru on Tuesday.
Press Club of Bengaluru president Sadashiva Shenoy, who was closely associated with Gauri, said, "divisive forces can not muzzle the liberal voices by resorting to killing". "It is a sad reminder of danger the journalists facing from anti progressive forces", he said.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of silencing dissent, saying it was a part of their ideology.
Senior journalists BR Lenin, P Siva Kumar, Ch Sudhakar, Noora Srinivas, G Venkat and others also expressed shock at the killing of the journalist.
Strongly rejecting the opposition accusation, Union Minister Nitin Gadkari said the BJP, the government or any organisation could not be blamed for the killing. He hoped that the Karnataka police would soon nab the killers.
- US bombers drill over Korean peninsula days after latest missile launch
- Hits and Misses from Week 2 Polls
- Last chance for Sri Lanka to redeem wretched home run
- US Open: Coco Vandeweghe reaches third Grand Slam quarterfinal of 2017
- China's Xi pushes for 'healthy' ties with India after border standoff
- Majka climbs to Stage 14 Vuelta victory
- N. Korea tests nuclear bomb, S. Korea says
- Indonesia to bar Myanmar protest at world's biggest Buddhist temple
- Palm Beach County declares state of emergency
- Last-ditch effort to restore Stormont Executive in Northern Ireland