If confirmed by the Senate, Bridenstine would play a key role in Trump's plans to add human exploration of Mars to NASA's mission.
Rubio, though, said he does not hold the comments against Bridenstine a former Navy pilot who has served as director of Tulsa's Air and Space Museum.
Bridenstine's name was originally thrown into the hat for NASA administrator shortly after Trump won the election. Marco Rubio of Florida, who told Politico he would prefer an administrator who has the "respect of the people who work there from a leadership and even a scientific perspective".
"It's the one federal mission which has largely been free of politics and it's at a critical juncture in its history".
Bridenstine, a member of the Science, Space and Technology Committee of the House of Representatives, has always been rumored to be Trump's choice to run NASA - and the pick is already attracting criticism from some quarters. U.S. must prepare for a decade of tensions, North Korea nuclear tests Trump's tough new sanctions will harm the people of Venezuela MORE (R-Fla.) told Politico.
Apple sends out press invites for Sept 12 event at Apple Park
Users will be able to tap on the screen to wake the handset, a functionality widely used in majority of the Android smartphones. Thus, industry analysts like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman are of the view that removal of the home button will mark a big change.
The Oklahoma Republican criticized Rubio during the 2016 GOP presidential primary, including in advertising for one of Rubio's rivals, Texas Sen.
The other Florida senator, Bill Nelson, a Democrat, concurred with Rubio telling Politico: "The head of NASA ought to be a space professional, not a politician".
Republican Rep. Jim Bridenstine, who now serves on the Science, Space and Technology Committee, famously called for former President Barack Obama to apologize for allocating funding to climate change research.
In a statement, Lightfoot said he was "pleased to have Rep. Bridenstine nominated to lead our team".
It remains unclear whether the two senators will vote for or against Bridenstine.
- Job growth slowed in August but economy still looks solid
- Mueller Probe of Russian Meddling Faces Budget Threat
- First cases of West Nile Virus for 2017 found in MI
- This 'Star Wars' model is LEGO's most expensive set ever
- Atletico advice Costa to return to Chelsea training
- N. Korea Claims Success in Testing Hydrogen Bomb
- Harvey threatens more USA oil refineries after heavy rains
- Seahawks acquire DE Richardson from Jets
- 9000+ evacuees take refuge at George R. Brown convention center
- Oxfordshire's new bake off judge Prue Leith gets mixed reception