Mariners also pick up some cash toward Leake's contract, global slot money while giving up minor leaguer Rayder Ascanio.
The Mariners (66-67) are three games out of the second wild-card spot in the American League.
Leake, who waived his no-trade clause to complete the deal, has a 4.21 ERA and 1.325 WHIP in 26 starts this season.
Leake has made 30 or more starts in a season six times and has averaged nearly 200 innings pitched per season in his career.
The deal sent pitcher Mike Leake to the Seattle Mariners, along with $750,000 in worldwide signing money, in exchange for minor league shortstop Rayder Ascanio. The St. Louis Cardinals signed him as a free agent in the winter of 2015, giving him a large contract that will pay him $17 million in 2018, $16 million in 2019, and $15 million in 2020.
Since his major league debut season in 2010, Leake's 228 starts are the second most in the National League behind the Los Angeles Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw (233). "Obviously his last 10 have not been great for him", Dipoto said. We'll keep you updated.
Here are the people Taylor Swift targetted in her new music video
For all the details on Swift's new music and her life now, pick up the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands Friday . Taylor Swift's diamond-filled bathtub in new video cost over $10M, jewels were all real!.
Maybe this was compensation for the Tyler O'Neill-for-Marco Gonzales trade that took place back in mid-July.
Leake is not a short-term rental.
Leake is owed at least $48 million over the next three seasons, in addition to about $2 million for the rest of this year.
"The contribution the Cardinals made was both significant and made us feel good about the price point", Dipoto said. He signed a five-year, $80 million deal before the 2016 season. He was batting. 217 with 25 doubles, nine home runs and 44 RBIs.
The prospect, shortstop Rayder Ascanio of Venezuela, will likely be assigned to the Cardinals' Palm Beach (A) club.
- Davis wants legal clarification from European Union over Brexit payout
- How Trump's wall could shut down the United States government
- Border Guard Bangladesh sends back 171 Rohingya refugees
- German Nurse May Have Killed 84 Patients, Authorities Say
- This Amazon Alexa-Equipped Smart Speaker is Just $29.70 Today
- Bears lose WR Cameron Meredith to knee injury against Titans
- McGregor Fight Makes It Into Top 10 Chart For US Box Office
- YouTube introduces a new logo
- Netanyahu: Iran wants to use Syria to eradicate Israel
- US Open: Defending champ Angelique Kerber upset by Naomi Osaka