A chemical plant in Crosby, Texas was in critical condition Tuesday night after its refrigeration system and inundated backup power generators failed, raising the possibility that the volatile chemicals on the site would explode. He said he believes a fire would be "largely sustained on our site but we are trying to be conservative".
The Texas plant produces liquid organic peroxides used in the production of plastic resins, polystyrene, polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC and polyester reinforced fiberglass, and acrylic resins.
The Crosby Fire Department evacuated its last employee Tuesday night. In other words, it makes sense Arkema and local, state and federal officials didn't fool around once the situation became clear.
MLSE agrees to record arena rights deal with Scotiabank
The agreement is worth about $800 million (Canadian), according to three sources familiar with the matter. The deal will take effect on July 1, 2018, effectively renaming Air Canada Centre to Scotiabank Arena .
The company said it opted not to move chemicals before the storm but made extensive preparations. We are monitoring the temperature of each refrigeration container remotely.
"You'll lose the feedstock, but it's safer than letting it go into runaway mode", Mannan said. The newspaper noted that a 2016 analysis by the Chronicle and the Texas A&M Mary Kay O'Connor Process Safety Center identified the Arkema site in Crosby as one of most at-risk chemical facilities in the Houston area for a safety incident.
Plant officials shut the facility down on Friday ahead of Hurricane Harvey making landfall, with just 11 emergency workers left behind to monitor the situation, KTRK-TV said. The company is able to see the temperatures of some of the freezer trailers but not all of them and has no ability to cool off the chemicals. The plant's chemical inventory includes acetone, benzoyl chloride, chlorodifluromethane, cumene, cumene hydroperpoxide, DI (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, ethybenzene, ethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid, mercury, methyl ethylketone, n-hexane, sodium hydroxide, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and butyl alcohol.
- Oil prices dip on refinery shutdown
- Hurricane Harvey Leaves Congress With a Pair of Financial Challenges
- Sri Lankan Selectors to Resign After India Series
- Major League Baseball trade rumors: Cardinals sending Mike Leake to Mariners
- Joel Osteen: 'We never turned away' Hurricane Harvey flooding victims
- After North Korea launch, U.S. successfully tests missile interceptor
- USA airstrikes block evacuation of Islamic State militants
- Pet turtles can be the cause of the multi-state Salmonella outbreak
- Donald Trump Snubs Gary Cohn in Tax Policy Speech; Praises Daughter Ivanka
- Nigeria vs Cameroon: Rohr happy to have "full house"