Swift also set a new benchmark with the song's lyric video, which attracted 19m views on its first day - more than double the previous record-holder, Something Just Like This by The Chainsmokers and Coldplay.
Radio glommed on to the track instantly, as have buyers: Industry forecasts have "Look What You Made Me Do" selling as many as a half-million downloads in its first week.
The highly stylised clip begins with Swift dressed as a zombie climbing out of a grave topped with a headstone reading "Here lies Taylor Swift's reputation".
So what makes "Look What You Made Me Do" so special? "Despacito" was the fastest video to ever reach 2 billion streams, but even though it was racking up 170 views per second for months on end, at this rate, it might not be long till Taylor Swift is knocking on their bilingual door.
Swift portrays a darker, edgier figure in the video and there are many references or innuendos to her past conflicts with others. That made it the most-viewed lyric video on YouTube in a single day, Variety reported.
Depth-chart chess game between Michigan, Florida continues into game week
The season opener between the Wolverines and Gators is schedule for this Saturday, September 2nd at 3:30pm ET. Harbaugh has come under a bit of fire this month for not releasing a new version of Michigan's roster.
Taylor Swift has defied her haters who were less than thrilled with the lyric video for her new single "Look What You Made Me Do".
"Look What You Made Me Do" director Joseph Kahn shared a status update thanking fans for supporting the video and announced the final number for video views.
One person said: "Taylor Swift got me dissecting metaphors and imagery like I haven't done since my book report on To Kill A Mockingbird in 9th grade".
One caveat to Swift's streaming success is that, on Spotify at least, interest in her comeback single dropped over the weekend.
Regardless of the truth in the situation, Taylor Swift is taking back her reputation and at this point isn't answering questions about the drama that preceded her sixth album.
- Berkeley Police Arrest 13 as Anarchists Storm Right-Wing Event
- Harvey sends floodwaters into Texas nursing home, 15 seniors rescued
- Rex Tillerson on Donald Trump's Values: 'The President Speaks for Himself'
- US Says N.Korea Fired Three 'Short-Range' Ballistic Missiles
- Twitter Goes Crazy as West Indies Stun England to Win 2nd Test
- North Korea tests short-range missiles as South Korea, US conduct drills
- Buckingham Palace; Man was Arrested as He Injured Officers
- Can the Wallabies win against All Blacks in Dunedin?
- Rousey skipping Mayweather-McGregor with more important plans: her wedding
- Venezuela holds military exercises to reject United States sanctions and military threats