Nationals right fielder Bryce Harper left the game versus the Giants on Saturday night after suffering an apparent knee injury. However, general manager Mike Rizzo announced Sunday that Harper had no ligament or tendon damage, but a bone bruise, leaving the team optimistic of a return in the regular season.
That caused Harper's leg to buckle as he went airborne before falling to the ground as his helmet went flying.
If Harper is out, it's a more devastating injury to the Nationals' World Series hopes than when Ramos' season ended prematurely a year ago.
The result of the game meant little for Washington, which leads the NL East by 14 games, or San Francisco, which is out of contention.
The game had been delayed due to heavy rains and it still was sprinkling when the game began.
Jamaica's Blake doubtful for sprint relay final
Bolt, anchoring the team, pulled up and fell to the ground in agony as there was no heartwarming ending to his athletics career. Usain Bolt will run in the 4x100m qualifying at the World Championships, with the possibility of going on to the final.
The ugly-looking scene itself unfolded when Harper attempted to leg out a ground ball in the first inning.
Edwin Jackson gave up just one run in six innings to earn a 3-1 win over the Giants on Saturday.
Washington won the game 3-1. Harper has been relatively healthy this season and missed just three days with mild groin soreness back in May.
Washington did not advance a runner to scoring position until the seventh.
The injury to Harper opens up playing time in the outfield but would present a hard challenge if he's not ready by the start of the post-season. Fellow outfielder Michael Taylor (right oblique strain) was activated from the 10-day disabled list in a corresponding move and will assume Harper's spot on the active roster for the time being. It'll be Matt Moore and right-hander Max Scherzer in the nightcap.
- Death toll in Nepal landslides, floods rises to 49
- Bolt, Farah take to the track 1 more time at worlds
- Chris Hadfield weighs in on the Perseid meteor shower
- Trump Declares Public Health Emergency To Address Opioid Crisis
- 'Carpool Karaoke' Episode 1 Now Available on Apple Music
- `Injured` Sanchez ruled out of start of Arsenal's PL campaign
- Chilling video shows how horrifyingly risky a police officer's job can be
- Russian Military Jet Flies Over New Jersey
- Friday's Weather: Showers and storms will develop this evening and overnight
- FDA Reports That 5 People Have Died After Weight Loss Balloon Treatments