In a report, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning health care providers about the liquid-filled balloon weight loss system created to fight obesity, announcing that since 2016, there have been five people dead after using it. The procedure, which is FDA-approved, involves inserting one or two silicone balloons into the stomach through the mouth and filling them with liquid until they are about the size of a grapefruit. The balloon is created to stay in place for several months to help the patient lose weight. And in three of those reports, death occurred as soon as one to three days after the balloon was placed, the agency notes.
Each of the five dead died within a month or less of receiving the balloon treatment.
The FDA is also investigating two other deaths, one from each company, due to "potential complications associated with balloon treatment.".
Is Janata Dal (United) heading towards a split in Bihar?
Neeraj Kumar said that party's Muzaffarpur district unit has send a proposal to initiate disciplinary action against Ramai Ram. Surprisingly enough, none of the JD (U) legislators close to Yadav were there to receive him at Patna airport.
According to NBC News, Apollo says it reported the deaths to the FDA itself.
RECOMMENDATION: FDA continues to recommend that health care providers closely monitor patients treated with these devices for complications and that you report any adverse events related to intragastric balloon systems through MedWatch, the FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.
Christopher Gostout, Apollo Endosurgery's chief medical officer, said the FDA letter is a reminder of the complications that could happen to obese patients. These approved devices are placed via the esophagus using endoscopy.
The (intra) gastric balloon for weight loss differs from the Sengstaken-Blakemore balloon used to stop esophageal and gastric bleeding.
In a statement to CNN, ReShape Medical said: "There is no responsibility that we take more seriously than patient safety".
- AIADMK merger: Dinakaran removed, EPS faction adopts resolution against Sasikala
- Disney To Pull All Its Movies From Netflix
- Spike In Rates At Trump DC Hotel Helped Reverse Expected Losses
- Chilling video shows how horrifyingly risky a police officer's job can be
- Koeman reveals the signing Everton must make to challenge top six
- Will Smith Raps Old School Classics On James Corden's Carpool Karaoke Spin-Off
- Stocks Close Modestly Lower After Trump Warns North Korea
- North Korea 'risks end of regime'
- Russian Military Jet Flies Over New Jersey
- City records raise doubts about repairs, inspections of Austin garage