According to an estimate by the union representing Canadian customs workers, between 450 and 700 people are crossing the border every week.
The number of Haitians fearing expulsion from the United States has surged in recent weeks on Canada's southern border, with requests for asylum tripling since mid-July, officials say.
"We're going to set up lighting as well, and heating and we're going to have flooring installed". All but a few will return to their home base once the site is completed.
While hundreds of asylum seekers - many from Haiti - are already being housed at Montreal's Olympic Stadium, city councillor Harout Chitilian told reporters the city is being asked to do more. "The Canadian Armed Forces will have no role in security matters", Mr. Le Bouthillier said in an email.
Like the United States, Canada had a deportation ban on Haitians after a 2010 quake.
Jaguars unlikely to allow Branden Albert to return
The 32-year-old Albert surprised Jaguars coach Doug Marrone last week by walking into his office and saying he planned to retire. Albert has walked out on the team a few times since he was acquired from the Dolphins back in March.
In addition, on Wednesday, public health officials announced the site of the Royal Victoria Hospital will be transformed into a shelter with 300 to 320 beds.
There are now about 700 asylum seekers waiting to be processed, many of them Haitians who were allowed into the United States under temporary protection status after a massive natural disaster struck that country in 2010. Even before the flow of Haitian asylum seekers Canada was on track to have the most refugee claims in nearly a decade.
"As soon as people arrive (in Montreal), not only do we find them a place to stay but we make sure it's safe, that they have the meals they need and that it's hygienic", Dupuis said.
To accommodate the influx of asylum seekers authorities earlier set a temporary shelter at Montreal's Olympic Stadium.
But U.S. President Donald Trump said he would end the protection when the term runs out in January and about 50,000 Haitians may be deported.
- Moeen Ali increases England lead over South Africa to 360 runs
- Major David Zahar Identified as Reservist Pilot Killed in Chopper Accident
- Blue is the colour for depressed people's photo shares
- Lacazette starts, no Sanchez in the Arsenal squad
- WWE: Bayley off of SummerSlam due to separated shoulder
- Amarnath yatra attack: 3 local LeT militants arrested in Kashmir
- Remains of 9/11 victim identified 16 years after terror attacks
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller is Investigating Flynn's Ties to Turkey
- Iranian drone buzzes USA fighter jet in Persian Gulf
- Gujarat MLAs return from Karnataka