Twenty-three personnel were quickly saved, but three marines remained missing despite an air and sea search.
"It's been a rough couple of days", said Robert Cross, father of 1 Lt. Benjamin Cross, who said his 26-year-old son was a skilled and dedicated pilot.
Onodera said Japan urged Washington to disclose information about the accident, investigate what caused it and take measures to prevent such an accident from happening again.
"He would sacrifice himself in a minute to make sure that his fellow service members were safe", Cross said.
us military officials called off the search and rescue on Sunday. The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and Bonhomme Richard Expeditionary Strike Group began the rescue operation and were able to rescue 23 of the 26 people onboard.
As of Monday, no flight restrictions have been placed on the 24 Ospreys based at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma or other USA airbases in the Pacific, Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis said.
Bayern beats Dortmund to win German Super Cup
Bet365 are showing Borussia Dortmund v Bayern Munich live, legal and straight onto your computer via 101 Great Goals. Christian Pulisic gave the hosts the lead at Signal Iduna Park before Poland striker Robert Lewandowski equalised.
The Osprey had launched from the USS Bonhomme Richard amphibious assault ship and was conducting regularly scheduled operations when the helicopter "entered the water", according to a statement from the III Marine Expeditionary Force.
Twenty-three of the Marines on the Osprey were recovered Saturday.
"The Australian forces volunteered their help before we could even ask, demonstrating the deep ties and enduring nature of the alliance between our two countries", Davis said. -Australian military training exercise two weeks ago in Shoalwater Bay.
The Australian Defence Force (ADF) was supporting the US-led recovery operation.
Ospreys were grounded in Japan last December after pilots ditched one in shallow water just off Camp Schwab in northern Okinawa. The Osprey was part of a U.S.
The Osprey is believed to have crashed when it was trying to land on the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier.
- Venezuela opposition leader Antonio Ledezma freed
- Otis Sanford: The problem with White House leaks
- U.S. to exempt journalists, aid workers from North Korea travel ban
- Moeen Ali increases England lead over South Africa to 360 runs
- Bad Android Apps Officially Getting Downgraded in Google Play Store
- Trump unveils new bill, curbing legal migration by 50pc
- Ex-Man Utd midfielder Fortune: Stage set for Pogba to succeed
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller is Investigating Flynn's Ties to Turkey
- Israel attempts to shut down Al Jazeera's office and ban journalists
- Miami Dolphins Reportedly Considered Tim Tebow Before Signing Jay Cutler