KMG says the Fireball ride that malfunctioned in OH was 18 years old. Almost two weeks later, the cause of the accident was revealed.
KMG International, a Dutch-based company that rents out rides to fairs around the world, said in a statement released Sunday that an internal investigation found that "excessive corrosion on the interior of the gondola support beam dangerously reduced the beam's wall thickness over the years". Of the seven others injured during the accident, four required a stay at the hospital. Lewis is in serious condition.
All other rides on the fair's midway were ordered shut down the night of the accident but eventually reopened.
They said deterioration on a gondola caused the almost two-decade-old "Fire Ball" ride to fail, detach and send several passengers airborne.
Tyler Jarrell was 18 when the ride caused his death.
Fox News suspends host Eric Bolling amid sexting allegations
The top-rated cable network has been roiled for the previous year by sexual-harassment allegations. Bolling is the best-known personality on The Fox News Specialists , which airs on weekdays.
Jarrell had recently enlisted in the U.S. Marines and was scheduled to begin basic training next year.
Video taken by a bystander of the ride in action captured a crashing sound.
Albert Kroon, the product manager for KMG, which makes the ride, said KMG is collaborating with other safety experts in the industry to create a better safety and inspection protocol that will keep other accidents like this from occurring, CNN reported.
Ohio Department of Agriculture records showed passing marks on inspections for Fire Ball on about three dozen items, including possible cracks, brakes, proper assembly and installation.
Similar rides were shut down across the country following the deadly accident. The Great Allentown Fair once featured a smaller version, but it is no longer in the fair's ride package, a state official said.
- Brady mum on concussion status of 2016
- The Spotify App is Rumoured to be Coming to Xbox One
- Swift attends jury selection in groping case
- Otis Sanford: The problem with White House leaks
- US Marines helicopter crashes off Qld coast
- Tesla wants to increase their debt by an additional $1.5 billion
- Miami Dolphins Reportedly Considered Tim Tebow Before Signing Jay Cutler
- Search called off for three US Marines who crashed off Australia
- Israel attempts to shut down Al Jazeera's office and ban journalists
- Vic teen's legs eaten by tiny sea animals