Lines of code for the firmware of Apple's forthcoming smart home device, the HomePod, appear to offer further evidence that Apple is planning to incorporate infrared facial recognition into this year's new iPhone.
A near-full screen design on the front is also set to be introduced, ditching the home button that appears on all existing iPhone models. The design of iPhone 8 has been confirmed in a new leak and as well as the new face unlock feature.
The software also contains information about the new face unlock mechanism that's coming to the iPhone 8, and which may replace Touch ID according to some pundits.
A number of software developers were able to grab the HomePod software after it was mistakenly pushed out to them by Apple on 30 July, several months before the speaker's expected December release date.
Elsewhere in the code, developers discovered what appears to be a new icon for the next iPhone-the company has a different image for each phone it produces-shaped like numerous leaked images and mockups that have appeared to date. The iPhone 8 is expected to have a large cut-out area to house the speaker, camera and 3D sensing facial recognition hardware.
BJP chief Amit Shah seeking defections for a Congress-less Gujarat
Ahmed Patel , senior Congress Party leader and close aide of party president Sonia Gandhi , had filed his nomination papers. Earlier in the day two Congress MLAs, Maan Singh Chouhan and Sana Bhai Choudhari offered their resignations.
NY Mag reports the use of infrared technology - which is code named "Pearl"- might help the iPhone 8's facial technology work in low light settings in order to unlock the phone.
Troughton-Smith's latest discoveries, revealed on Twitter, give an even clearer picture of exactly what Apple has planned for the long-awaited iPhone 8.
A tap to wake feature has also been discovered, and should be similar to the Windows Phone function that allows users to double-tap the screen to wake the phone. It certainly doesn't look like an iPhone 7S, but will it be an iPhone 8, iPhone X, or something else?
Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Euro area GDP expands at 0.6% pace in Q2
- Barcelona believe Philippe Coutinho will join for £90m
- Who is John Kelly, Trump's new chief of staff?
- Trump gets a major bill, and it's Russian Federation sanctions
- Everything you need to know as Russian Federation retaliates over U.S. sanctions bill
- Russian Federation asks United States to reduce its diplomatic staff
- Venezuela: two opposition leaders arrested, including the mayor of Caracas
- Discovery Communications, Inc. (DISCK) Sets New 1-Year Low at $23.12
- Jeanne Moreau Dies: Legendary French Actress Was 89
- F1: Daniel Ricciardo lashes 'amateur' team-mate Max Verstappen Hungarian Grand Prix