The peril called higher provisioning and bad loans extended to HDFC Bank, which until now remained largely unscathed.On Monday, the private-sector lender reported an enviable 20.2 per cent rise in net profit at Rs 3,894 crore for the quarter ended June 2017, but disappointed investors posting its highest non-performing asset (NPA) ratio in years, courtesy farm loan waivers.
Four key states including Uttar Pradesh, which has a population around the same size as Brazil's, have recently said they would waive off billions of dollars in farm loans to offer relief to farmers reeling from losses caused by bad weather.
Total income of the bank rose to Rs 1,790.53 crore in April-June 2017, from Rs 1,789.05 crore in the year ago period, the bank said in a regulatory filing.
The bank's gross non-performing assets (as a percentage of gross advances) in improved to 10.79%, against 11.20% for the quarter ended March 2017 (Q4FY17).
Not 100% sure 39 missing Indians are alive
Earlier this month, Iraqi forces, after months of battle with ISIS, rooted out the terrorist organisation from the soil of Mosul. His remarks came soon after his meeting with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in New Delhi on Monday.
"We believe that a fair portion of this impact does reflect changed customer behaviour in anticipation of loan waivers which were announced", the bank's deputy managing director, Paresh Sukthankar, told reporters at a briefing after the company posted a 20 percent rise in its quarterly profit.
The higher bad loans had the bank making higher provisions which nearly doubled, which led it miss the street estimate on the bottomline. Agri loans, where its total exposure is Rs 28,000 crore and meeting the 18 per cent mandatory priority sector lending requirement to the sector, resulted in a 0.13 per cent spike in NPAs. Despite a mere 6.1% year-on-year growth in banking industry loans, the bank's loan book grew by 23.4% over the previous year and 4.8% over the preceding quarter, led by higher growth in corporate, business banking and retail loan segments.
- Google updates the Feed for Android and iOS bringing you personalised news
- Manchester City set to complete £81m double deal in next 48 hours
- Chelsea's Pedro leaves pre-season tour after suffering concussion
- Mandela book violates sanctity of doctor/patient relationship
- Boulder weather: Heavy rain and thunderstorms expected over the weekend
- Liverpool complete £10million signing
- Sri Lankan navy saves elephants from drowning at sea
- Stranger Things: Netflix Unveils Season Two Trailer at Comic Con
- Poland's President Sees Flaws In Controversial Law On Top Court
- Chris Froome set for fourth Tour de France victory