Slipping from first to second place was the summer's latest super hero tentpole Spider-Man: Homecoming which declined by 61% in its sophomore session to an estimated $45.2M.
Taking third place and dropping a reasonable 44% was the toon threequel Despicable Me 3 with an estimated $18.9M. The Joey King horror movie fell in seventh place behind Wonder Woman (out of the top five for the first time), bringing in only $5.5 million. The movie is now set to walk away with a win over "Spiderman" this weekend to the tune of $57 million, according to the website Variety. The film began its global rollout in less than one third of the marketplace Friday, earning an estimated $46 million overall. Overseas grosses have always been strong for this series and with a $46 million start it's not in bad shape there; the total worldwide gross is $102.5 million. Nearly twenty years ago he was a large part of WETA's experiments in trying to make a believable Gollem for the Lord of the Rings films, and ever since then, he has become the go-to guy for these kind of roles. The Homecoming fall was also in line with the 60% of last year's Captain America: Civil War which introduced Tom Holland as the new Peter Parker and did not face any major competition from new releases. However, both films triumphed overseas with Rise earning $305 million, and Dawn bringing in an impressive $502 million. The drop is comparable to the slips of Spider-Man 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man 2.
Dollar, bond yields dip amid benign U.S. inflation data
Inflation came-in flat versus an expected.2% gain, and retail sales fell by.2% against the expectation for a.1% gain. In oil markets, benchmark Brent and United States WTI futures contracts were on track for weekly gains.
The mischievous Minions hope that Gru will return to a life of crime after the new boss of the Anti-Villain League fires him. The reunited siblings soon find themselves in an uneasy alliance to take down the elusive Balthazar Bratt, a former 1980s child star who seeks revenge against the world.
Just as it did last week, 'Baby Driver' kept control of the auto. Coerced into working for a crime boss (Kevin Spacey), Baby must face the music as a doomed heist threatens his life, love and freedom. Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan headline the acclaimed feature, which was written by Nanjiani and produced by Judd Apatow.
- Amazon working on its own social network app to compete with Facebook
- Russia Threatens to Reciprocate US Seizure of Russian Diplomatic Compound
- Brexit talks start as war breaks out among United Kingdom ministers
- Prince George & Princess Charlotte Arrive in Poland in Adorable Style
- American Doctor Meets with Charlie Gard's Medical Team
- JD(U), RJD heading towards split, indicates BJP
- 2 charged in slayings of 4 Pennsylvania men
- Blue Apron Feeling Black-and-Blue After Amazon Moves
- Parliament Monsoon Session: Lok Sabha adjourned for day
- National Football League finally close to Ezekiel Elliott domestic violence ban