They contended that the collection of biometric data and iris scan violated the fundamental right to privacy as personal data was not protected, and was vulnerable to exposure and misuse.
The five-judge would begin the hearing from July 18.
A five-judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court will sit next week to examine a plethora of issues arising out of the Aadhaar identification system, including whether the unique identity number invades the right to privacy.
SC was hearing three separate petitions challenging Centre's notification to make Aadhaar mandatory for social schemes. Former Karnataka High Court judge Justice K S Puttaswamy and others had challenged the legal validity of Aadhaar in 2012.
India buys first ever U.S. crude oil, to step up purchases
"We extended the invitation but unfortunately there is a previous commitment for the Nigerian oil minister", the minister said. Due to the language of the agreement, OPEC participants were not obligated to cut production until the end of the year.
Fundamental right of identity and various e-governance initiatives of the government to provide food security, livelihood, jobs and health to the teeming masses can not be sacrificed at the altar of right to privacy of an elite few who have neither applied for nor want Aadhaar, it had contended. In 1954 and 1964, Supreme Court benches ruled that there was no fundamental right to privacy.
It had also asked the Centre and those opposing Aadhaar to approach the CJI for setting up of a Constitution Bench. An eight-judge Bench of the court decided the Sharma case, while a six-judge bench, delivered the judgment of Kharak Singh.
The apex court has chose to constitute a five-judge bench to hear whether there is a right to privacy or not.
The fundamental right of identity and various e-governance initiatives of the government to provide food security, livelihood, jobs and health to the "teeming masses" can not be sacrificed at the altar of right to privacy of an "elite" few who have neither applied for nor want Aadhaar, said the Centre. Sinha is the former NCPCR chairperson and Magsaysay victor.
- Pliskova to No. 1 for 1st time despite early Wimbledon loss
- USA to fire RETALIATION missile against North Korea within DAYS
- Tillerson Set To Meet Poroshenko In First Official Visit To Ukraine
- Flight Attendant Smashes Wine Bottle on Unruly Passenger
- Japan's ancient ritual site Okinoshima joins World Heritage sites
- Somebody Has Officially Registered The Rock To Run For President
- Alabama triple murder suspect could be headed to Florida's Gulf Coast
- Gold hovers near four-month low, undermined by firm dollar
- Trump's thinking about a tariff could trigger 'global recession'
- Vigil Being Held Saturday In Honor Of NYPD Officer Miosotis Familia