The mother accused of stabbing four of her children and their father to death showed freakish behavior during her first appearance hearing Friday morning.
According to 11Alive News, Martinez also refused to allow the judge to appoint her a defense attorney. But media coverage often focuses on dramatic cases, such as Andrea Yates who was found not guilty by reason of insanity for the 2001 drowning deaths of her five children in her suburban Houston home.
Reports have stated the family lived in a tight-knit immigrant community in Gwinnett County.
Thursday night, Gwinnett County Police released their identities: Martin Romero, 33, Isabela, 10, Dacota, 7, Dillan, 4, and Axel, just 2 years old. She is now being held on an immigration detainer for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
A woman who was charged with killing four of her young children and her husband appeared in court, offering a odd spectacle of smiles and thumbs-up signs. Police said Romero and Isabel Martinez were married.
Martinez is being charged with five counts of malice murder, five counts of murder, and six counts of aggravated assault. According to a GoFundMe page set up to help pay for funerals and medical costs, Diana has gone through surgery and will likely remain in the hospital for a few weeks before starting physical therapy.
Trump berates Russian Federation before Putin meet at G20
He pointed to Poland - which in the last century endured Nazi and Soviet occupation - as an example of resolve. Trump didn't visit the Monument to the Ghetto Heroes in Warsaw . "We don't want fake news".
Their slain father was Martin Romero, 33, Pihera said.
Also, an immigration official said the woman, who is from Mexico, entered the US illegally. Martinez has been cooperative, police said.
In a write-up for the New York Times on the brutal crime incident, mainstream media reporters called the accused killer a "Georgia woman", glossing over the fact that she had been placed on an immigration hold.
Neighbors and family members were left in shock following the gruesome discovery Thursday morning at Martinez's home outside Atlanta, wondering what could have driven a mother to murder her children.
Through an interpreter, Martinez repeatedly waived her right to an attorney, saying "My attorney is the people". "She seemed so normal, like a regular mother. Nothing else matters, I am representing the people that are humble, hardworking, the people who suffer and those who have a lot of charges so they understand everything is possible with God". "She was good, went to our church last weekend, she was there with us".
- Wimbledon issue Bethanie Mattek-Sands statement: Emergency declared, star in hospital
- Destiny 2 Open Beta Dated, Video Available
- Rob Kardashian accused of 'revenge porn' after posting nudes of Blac Chyna
- England captain Joe Root falls just short of double-century at Lord´s
- Alzheimer's disease: Scientists discover how a ROGUE protein triggers the brain disease
- Why Lukaku offers exactly what Jose and Manchester United need
- Patton Oswalt announces engagement
- UNESCO votes to declare al-Khalil's Old City 'a heritage site'
- Gayle back in West Indies squad for one-off T20 against India
- People Think Poland's First Lady Sneakily Dodged Donald Trump's Handshake