Defeated in his first comeback match in Stuttgart last week, 35-year-old world No.5 Federer was aggressive from the start, breaking in the first game to take control.
Federer won the Australian Open his first Grand Slam success in five years in January despite not playing in the previous six months, then claimed the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells in March and, two weeks later, the Miami Open.
He and Khachanov, 21, traded breaks in the first two games but Federer grabbed a second one to restore his advantage and clinch the first set on his second set point. Federer advanced when Khachanov lifted a backhand long on match point.
"I thought it was extremely close, especially that second set", Federer said afterward.
First phase of Jewar airport gets government nod
Of the total land, 1,000 hectares will be acquired under the first phase of airport development, which will cost Rs 2,000 crore.
However, 21-year-old Khachanov rallied and force two set points which would have taken the match into a decider before Federer, an 18-time Grand Slam victor, closed out the tie-break. "I'm feeling excellent and it's a pleasure to be back", said Federer, who skipped the clay-court season to rest. "I'm still just very happy how I was able to close it out in the tiebreaker".
"It has been a hard year with a lot of practice, training and rehab so I am very happy to be back on the court", he said.
140 Number of finals Roger Federer has entered, including today's Halle Open.
"You could have been a bit nicer and allowed me a couple more points", Zverev joked to his idol. He improved his Halle record to 57-6. Zverev, who lost last year's final to compatriot Florian Mayer, will be going for his fourth title of the season on Sunday.
- Amateur radio 'Field Day' set for June 24-25
- Some Dems Want Pelosi Out as House Minority Leader
- Macron's takeover of French politics is all but complete
- 62 killed in multiple blasts and firing in 3 Pakistani cities
- Trump's first Ramadan and his good Muslims
- Judges affirm 'Making a Murderer' confession was coerced
- NEET 2017 Results: Nada Fatima, 02 others from Kerala among top 25
- Diaspora Indians 'real ambassadors' of India in Portugal: PM Narendra Modi
- Yoga belongs to whole world, says Sushma Swaraj
- US Navy destroyer collision site in Japan known for congested nighttime traffic