At 4:11 a.m., the woman and man were driving east on the Chicago Skyway near 88th Street when the woman ran from the auto, police said.
Citing preliminary investigation, authorities said the man and woman were in a vehicle traveling eastbound on the roadway when the woman exited the auto and fled.
Pena then got out of his vehicle while it was still running to chase after Fischer, firing several gunshots at her, police said.
The lanes were reopened by 10:00am. He says witnesses told investigators that the two were shouting at each other shortly before the woman was shot. The vehicle crashed near the site of the shooting.
'Trooping the color' in London for queen's official birthday
They may be young, but Prince George and Princess Charlotte surely know how to steal the spotlight. The big event commemorated the Queen's 91st birthday , which was in April.
A man shot in the head and and woman shot in the back were found unresponsive at the scene, said Chicago police spokesman Officer Ron Gaines.
The shooting highlights what is a growing concern for both Chicago police and the Illinois State Police: A growing number of instances of gunfire on the main roads in and out of the city.
The auto crashed into a wall on the Skyway and a police officer arrived at the scene to find the man running back toward the vehicle.
This story will be updated.
- McCain: Americans 'stupid' to still want to travel to NKorea
- List of GOP lawmakers found in Virginia shooter's pocket
- Senate to White House on health care: No Trump, please
- Cosby alternate juror 'probably' would have convicted
- Gas prices in Massachusetts down 5 cents per gallon
- White Officers Fatally Shoot Black Woman Who Reported Burglary
- Republicans Divided as Trump Reverses Some Obama Cuba Policy
- Democrats battle GOP over under-wraps health care bill
- With Whole Foods, Amazon acquires distribution network
- Why Microsoft's New Xbox Costs $500 - And Why That's Fine